Beta Testers and Feedback wanted - Passkeys login and OTP Field Entry

Started by TiggerToo, October 06, 2026, 02:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi, was getting kind of upset that I have to append my OTP to the password field as that was effort, because life is hard. So decided to make the OTP friendlier for Password managers. I then sort of got carried away at 4am and added Passkeys to the plugin too.

If anyone is interested in using it, abusing it, or just curious, you can find the trainwreck of a web page about it at
https://campbell-moore.com/projects/os-webauthn

Kindest regards,

Tig

Umm, yeah, the web page has the actual instructions now, and yes, totally not 4am again :P

Entering the OTP directly on the login screen is extremely inconvenient.
I don't understand why it was designed this way.
It should follow standard practice on other websites: Enter Password -> Proceed to OTP prompt without prior password validation -> Enter OTP -> Validate account credentials (ID, PW, OTP).


Your time might be better spent by creating a PR for this: https://github.com/opnsense/core/issues/8239

While I generally like the idea, I personally refrain from applying non-vetted patches or packages to a security-relevant appliance like OPNsense.
Intel N100, 4* I226-V, 2* 82559, 16 GByte, 500 GByte NVME, Leox LXT-010H-D

1100 down / 450 up, Bufferbloat A+