English Forums > General Discussion

Poor video conferencing performance

(1/2) > >>

gintek:
I've been up and running with OpnSense for a couple weeks now, but since moving to it, my wife and I have been encountering poor performance with our video conferencing. We both work from home--she uses Google Meet and I use MS Teams.

I did some research, and found tips pointing to potential bufferbloat issues. Sure enough, I ran the DSLReports speed test and consistently got "Cs" for the bufferbloat rating. I went down a rabbit hole of tweaking FQ-CoDel according to the following guides: 1 and 2

Unfortunately, turning on the traffic shaping as instructed, and tweaking the quantum and limit values produce zero effect on my test results, so I'm hoping for help with two questions:

1) Am I barking up the wrong tree with the whole traffic shaping/FQ-CoDel approach for our video conferencing issues?
2) If I am on the right track, is there a likely reason that all of my tweaking is resulting in no changes to the test results?

Thanks a million for any help!

RamSense:
Dear Gintek,

I did the same as you and used your guide #2.
Did you test afterwards at DSLreports? I went to a+, A (bufferbloat) and A+.

If you have increased results at DSLreports, you did it correcly.
Did you hit [apply] on the tabs in the shaper at opnsense? Maybe a fresh reboot (just in case?)
or otherwise
Maybe it was not at your end and at MS Teams?

hushcoden:
Same here, no improvement, before and after the Shaper (guide no. 2) bufferbloat always at B

gintek:
Thank you both for your replies!

To quickly confirm, I did make sure to apply and re-test at DSLReports after each setting change. Unfortunately, I wasn't getting any change in results.

But I do have an update! I'm on a 30mbps up/30mbps down fiber connection. At the time of my original post, I'd tweaked settings over and over using bandwidth settings of 29-30mbps and FQ-CoDel quantum settings ranging from 100-1000. Eventually I figured why not try something drastic, and I set the pipe to 25mbps. That finally made a difference in my DSLReports results.

From there I recommenced fiddling with things until I ended up with 26mbps for bandwidth and an FQ-CoDel quantum of 200 for up and down (everything else set at default values). That got me to a B in bufferbloat, and an A for quality.

Most importantly, my wife patted me on the head and told me I'm a good boy because she can now use Google Meet with no problems.  :D  My Teams meetings today are also working much better.

Hopefully this info will come in handy for others in the future!

Of course, if anyone has additional advice on things I can try tweaking to get bufferbloat to an A, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

muchacha_grande:
Hi,
I did what is pointed on this thread and it worked fine for me

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=7423.0

It's an old guide but I actually get A or A+ in all tests

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version