Newbie here, Install guide?

Started by greghi, September 03, 2021, 03:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well not new to computers but new to having a home based firewall other than what is available in my Asus Ac5300 router. I want to use a old HP I5 based min tower using 2 Asus 2.5gb nics which I think are Realtek based. I already have a 2,5gb network in the house.  Is there a step by step guide that everyone would recommend for a new person?  any guidance would be very helpful.  Thx Greg

Hi Greg, welcome to OPNsense!

I would start with the official docs: https://docs.opnsense.org/setup.html which will leave you with a basic firewall, not unlike what your Asus was like when you first set it up.

There are loads of YouTube videos as well. Look for 'OPNsense setup' for a few.

Bart...


does opnsense run on intel cpu's?  the getting started page says amd64 and no mention of intel cpu i5/i7? but the freebsd page mentions that it will run on intel cpu's. So I'm confused if this will run on my hardware or not.


yes understood about realtek but i cant find a 2,5 gb nic thats does not break the budget.  What does everyone else use for nics?   and do i need 4 nic ports? i have seen that mentioned as well saw it on the hardware opnsense sells?

Afaik most would use intel NICs. I have an I350-T4

Quote from: greghi on September 04, 2021, 02:26:58 AM
does opnsense run on intel cpu's?  the getting started page says amd64 and no mention of intel cpu i5/i7?
Yes, quite happily. AMD64 is an instruction set architecture classification (like ARM, i686, SPARC, etc.) and does not specify a manufacturer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#History_2

Bart...