Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Demiurgic

#1
General Discussion / Advice on migration
Today at 09:42:34 AM
Hi guys, noob here.

I decided to get rid of my shitty TP-Link router and run Opnsense as a replacement. I have an ONT and PPPoE access from my ISP plus some self definedsome routing rules to my nginx that runs as a reverse proxy. My home lab consists of two proxmox nodes running a total of 20 VMs and LXCs (static IPs on all of them).

I have predefined in Opnsense some VLANs with DHCP with the ranges I want for each.

How should I replace the router with minimum disruption?

The approaches I can think about are:

Opnsense before everything, where I configure PPoE WAN, router after it with DHCP WAN. I gradually connect each node to Opnsense until migration is complete, after which the router is removed.

Router as is, opnsense has DHCP WAN. I gradually connect each node to Opnsense until migration is complete. Change opnsense Wan to PPPoE.

I am aware that machines connected to the new Opnsense vlan will not be able to connect with others and the gradual migration will be done in batches based on their dependency.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.