Nope, neither location works.
I punted and manually copied the config.xml in place.
BTW, if you boot up off the installer it prompts to do the importer thing -- which works and will read the config file for restore -- but then you get no installer function.
So, if you boot up with no installation on the hardware, you can run that way ... but no way to do it without both the installer and the device used to carry the restore config file.
When I forget this next week and have to look this up:
1. Run the installer and install to local storage.
2. power off
3. boot up
4. log in
5. drop to a shell (Option 8 on the menu)
6. Plug in the device with the FAT formatted partition with the config.xml backup
7. identify the device with the ( I did this with the console messages for USB device discovery - they show up on the console)
8. fdisk -l /dev/<your dev> to show the partitions
9. mount the FAT partition to /mnt -- mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
10. cd /conf
11. I made a copy of the current config.xml just for grins -- there is a backup directory in /conf
12. copy the backup into place: cp /mnt/config.xml .
13. exit the shell
14. reboot from the menu - option 6
On reboot your old configuration should be present.
I punted and manually copied the config.xml in place.
BTW, if you boot up off the installer it prompts to do the importer thing -- which works and will read the config file for restore -- but then you get no installer function.
So, if you boot up with no installation on the hardware, you can run that way ... but no way to do it without both the installer and the device used to carry the restore config file.
When I forget this next week and have to look this up:
1. Run the installer and install to local storage.
2. power off
3. boot up
4. log in
5. drop to a shell (Option 8 on the menu)
6. Plug in the device with the FAT formatted partition with the config.xml backup
7. identify the device with the ( I did this with the console messages for USB device discovery - they show up on the console)
8. fdisk -l /dev/<your dev> to show the partitions
9. mount the FAT partition to /mnt -- mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
10. cd /conf
11. I made a copy of the current config.xml just for grins -- there is a backup directory in /conf
12. copy the backup into place: cp /mnt/config.xml .
13. exit the shell
14. reboot from the menu - option 6
On reboot your old configuration should be present.
"