English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

[Tutorial] - How to configure fq_codel for comcast to help bufferbloat / QoS

<< < (3/4) > >>

JohnnyGrey:
I truly appreciate this! This is incredible! I'm on Comcast's 1,000/35 plan, and this seems to have helped quite a bit. It seems I needed to lower the quantum and limit to around 2400 instead of 3000. I only did one test each, so some of this may be margin of error.

Here's my results from https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat:

Before
Unloaded Latency: 13ms
Download Active Latency: +33ms
Upload Active Latency: +6ms
Down: 636.3mbps
Up: 44.9mbps

3000/3000
Unloaded Latency: 11ms
Download Active Latency: +27ms
Upload Active Latency: +1ms
Down: 725.2mbps
Up: 39.4mbps

2175/2175
Unloaded Latency: 12ms
Download Active Latency: +10ms
Upload Active Latency: +4ms
Down: 790.0mbps
Up: 38.8mbps

2400/2400
Unloaded Latency: 12ms
Download Active Latency: +7ms
Upload Active Latency: +4ms
Down: 777.6mbps
Up: 40.1mbps

Hardware:
- Motorola SB8600 (using single gigabit WAN)
- SuperMicro mobo, i3 7300, 16gb DDR4 ECC RAM.
- Using both onboard NICs, one as WAN, one as LAN.
- TP-Link 8-port gigabit switch between this PC and OPNsense

EDIT: Getting better results leaving the quantum and limit blank, and reducing the down pipe to 900mbps.
Bufferbloat Grade: A+
Unloaded Latency: 13ms
Download Active Latency: +4ms
Upload Active Latency: +0ms
Down: 889.5mbps
Up: 38.6mbps

sophlink:
Hi,

I was struggling a lot too because my Bufferbloat grades were C or D, no matter what I did. I used this thread as the basic configuration and this another forum to set up some CoDel parameters such as target, interval, quantum, etc.:

https://community.ui.com/questions/Best-Practices-for-Smart-Que-tuning-FQ-CoDel-on-and-ER-X/845b3bd4-676c-4b3e-be0e-2fb9abe97415

But mostly, last reply in this thread remind me an important thing I forgot: bandwidth reservation for QoS to work. If you don't do this, you won't see any difference, believe me!
Reserve at least 5-10% of your bandwidth in pipes, as the user from last reply did, i.e. if you have 100 mbps, set the pipe to 90 mbps. I reserved 20% as my connection speed is pretty variable (blame ADSL).

Now my Bufferbloat tests are A+ with network quiet, even doing the test in a WiFi device:

Unloaded: 71 ms
Download Active: 7 ms
Upload Active: 0 ms

and when all devices are using network actively:

Unloaded: 63 ms
Download Active: 25 ms
Upload Active: 8 ms

joeyboon:
Wanted to thank you! Solved this solved an issue on my 1Gb fiber link , which experienced packet loss when under heavy load. :)

Jun Seo-Hyun:

--- Quote from: ingvarr on June 28, 2021, 11:56:08 pm ---Hi.
I assume that I am missing some of the basics, but what about passing part of the traffic through VPN?
I have some wireguard interfaces that grab traffic for some of the nodes, and they have their own gateways.
Now, physically that all goes to the same WAN, upon firewall rules with gateway specified.
So, I have:
* WAN1 with shaper rules, gets some traffic.
* WAN_covert_hole87 on Wireguard (physically same WAN1 link), gets some traffic.

Does WAN_covert_hole87 need a separate pair of rules, or shaper applies to anything that goes to the physical interface, no matter virtual gateway ceremonies?

--- End quote ---
Hey, I was wondering if you figured out how to deal with VPN Interfaces in this setup? 
I'm facing the same problem and am not really able to get it work. Set up two additional rules for my VPN Interface but now my speeds are much lower than they should be. 

Flossy:
From F > A... thanks so much... :D

Removing the upload quantum and using 192.168.1.0/24 rather then any has reduced latency by 90ms. !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version