English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

[Tutorial] - How to configure fq_codel for comcast to help bufferbloat / QoS

<< < (3/3)

JohnnyGrey:
I truly appreciate this! This is incredible! I'm on Comcast's 1,000/35 plan, and this seems to have helped quite a bit. It seems I needed to lower the quantum and limit to around 2400 instead of 3000. I only did one test each, so some of this may be margin of error.

Here's my results from https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat:

Before
Unloaded Latency: 13ms
Download Active Latency: +33ms
Upload Active Latency: +6ms
Down: 636.3mbps
Up: 44.9mbps

3000/3000
Unloaded Latency: 11ms
Download Active Latency: +27ms
Upload Active Latency: +1ms
Down: 725.2mbps
Up: 39.4mbps

2175/2175
Unloaded Latency: 12ms
Download Active Latency: +10ms
Upload Active Latency: +4ms
Down: 790.0mbps
Up: 38.8mbps

2400/2400
Unloaded Latency: 12ms
Download Active Latency: +7ms
Upload Active Latency: +4ms
Down: 777.6mbps
Up: 40.1mbps

Hardware:
- Motorola SB8600 (using single gigabit WAN)
- SuperMicro mobo, i3 7300, 16gb DDR4 ECC RAM.
- Using both onboard NICs, one as WAN, one as LAN.
- TP-Link 8-port gigabit switch between this PC and OPNsense

EDIT: Getting better results leaving the quantum and limit blank, and reducing the down pipe to 900mbps.
Bufferbloat Grade: A+
Unloaded Latency: 13ms
Download Active Latency: +4ms
Upload Active Latency: +0ms
Down: 889.5mbps
Up: 38.6mbps

sophlink:
Hi,

I was struggling a lot too because my Bufferbloat grades were C or D, no matter what I did. I used this thread as the basic configuration and this another forum to set up some CoDel parameters such as target, interval, quantum, etc.:

https://community.ui.com/questions/Best-Practices-for-Smart-Que-tuning-FQ-CoDel-on-and-ER-X/845b3bd4-676c-4b3e-be0e-2fb9abe97415

But mostly, last reply in this thread remind me an important thing I forgot: bandwidth reservation for QoS to work. If you don't do this, you won't see any difference, believe me!
Reserve at least 5-10% of your bandwidth in pipes, as the user from last reply did, i.e. if you have 100 mbps, set the pipe to 90 mbps. I reserved 20% as my connection speed is pretty variable (blame ADSL).

Now my Bufferbloat tests are A+ with network quiet, even doing the test in a WiFi device:

Unloaded: 71 ms
Download Active: 7 ms
Upload Active: 0 ms

and when all devices are using network actively:

Unloaded: 63 ms
Download Active: 25 ms
Upload Active: 8 ms

joeyboon:
Wanted to thank you! Solved this solved an issue on my 1Gb fiber link , which experienced packet loss when under heavy load. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version