dnsmasq does not give any lease, but KEA dhcp does

Started by JL, October 02, 2026, 03:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't understand how this possible and cannot find anything extraordinary hinting at a reason why.

dnsmasq : disabled : configured dhcp + dns

kea dhcp: enabled : configure dhcp, uses unbound for DNS (so no host resolved), this gives leased and DNS lookups work except for LAN, as expected

switching to dnsmasq, disable kea, disable unbound, enable dnsmasq
no leases are handed out by dnsmasq

so, same firewall configuration, no leases
in 'live view' i do see bogon network detection + a drop, these are multiple drops for dnsmasq while a single drop for kea
dnsmasq = no lease, kea = lease

please, your thoughts and recommendations

Post screenshots of your complete Kea and DNSmasq configuration.
Deciso DEC750
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

I have my configuration integrated into dnsmasq and kea.

it works.   setup dhcp ranges first.  then static hosts of needed.

I go back and forth between them on the occasion just to see if I notice anything(mainly memory use resources).  so far I haven't but still use kea for my home network
DEC740 > USW-Pro-8-PoE> U6-Enterprise
Dec670. Retired / backup device