PPPoE over an unassigned VLAN no longer connects after upgrading to 26.7.3

Started by downset, August 27, 2026, 06:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
No I did it in that order:

1. download the patch with opnsense-patch -d 3384e551f3
2. copied the patch to /root/3384e551f3.patch
3. checked if the patch is working with  patch -d /usr/local -p2 --dry-run < /root/3384e551f3.patch
4. upgraded to 26.7.6_3
5. PPPoE was not working so i used this command patch -d /usr/local -p2 < /root/3384e551f3.patch
6. did a reboot
7. PPPoE was still not working so I checked /usr/local/etc/inc/interfaces.inc if the lines written in the patch are in there. They were there so I guessed the patch was working
8. did a second reboot and reloaded the ONT to be sure it's not another problem, but that didn't help

Maybe I did something wrong or need to activate something additionally?
But back in 26.7.1 the lines aren't in the interfaces.inc anymore so I'm pretty sure it was at least updated.
Is there something else I can check if to see if the patch is correctly installed?

Regards,

Fanski

Hi Franski,

Okay, just wanted to double check.  Let me try to come up with debug output for your case.  The patch not working would indicate the VLAN is up when it is supposed to wait for it to come up... which is silly because it will be down a split second later?  It's not easy to work around this when the kernel lives on its own schedule.

Maybe you can try to increase the sleep to 5 seconds in order to catch the down window?


Cheers,
Franco

Hi Franco,

so I tried with 5, 10 and 15 seconds but no success.
I changed this (log message was just for me to be sure where this happens and if it works :) ):

/* wait for functional parent (only the first) */
    $max = 10;
    $i = 0;
    while ($i < $max) {

        sleep(15);
        log_msg("sleeping", LOG_WARNING);
        if (does_interface_exist($ports[0], 'up')) {
            break;
        }
        $i++;
    }

I'm just curious, do you think this could be hardware related? I use an old firewall for my setup. It was for free so for my home config it was good enough.I thought maybe the old hardware is not working properly with the new firmware/something in the modern architecture is causing this issue with my old hardware.

Regards,

Fanski

That means the VLAN us up while the parent is down, which is even more inconvenient.  Yes, this is definitely a driver issue.

I added

https://github.com/opnsense/core/commit/d2ad94b38b48

and

https://github.com/opnsense/core/commit/212185a8be

which tries to look at the up state of the parent, not the port itself.  Your case at least already proves that this is likely not waiting for anything in most cases, but it might fix the issue you're seeing now.

If not there's a problem with the lookup, a) not waiting for the right device which would be my fault or b) the kernel driver for igb takes it down after we pass the wait test (worst case).

If you have trouble applying these patches I can try to make a proper backport for 26.7.6_3.


Cheers,
Franco