os-upnp plugin not working?

Started by Warbreaker, July 16, 2026, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: nero355 on September 25, 2026, 10:56:40 PM
Quote from: AlpAne on September 25, 2026, 12:07:07 PMHave anyone actually verified that this solution works for multiple PC/Xbox clients connecting through UPnP at the same time.
Like I said before in this topic : Forget OPEN NAT and keep things simple at a nice and comfortable Moderate NAT level with STRICT-PORT Enabled for your Gaming Clients :)

Could you please write a simple step by step guide how to do this?

Thank you in advance!

It should be sufficient to enable Endpoint-Independent NAT for your gaming client.

Quote from: AlpAne on September 30, 2026, 03:41:58 PM
Quote from: nero355 on September 25, 2026, 10:56:40 PM
Quote from: AlpAne on September 25, 2026, 12:07:07 PMHave anyone actually verified that this solution works for multiple PC/Xbox clients connecting through UPnP at the same time.
Like I said before in this topic : Forget OPEN NAT and keep things simple at a nice and comfortable Moderate NAT level with STRICT-PORT Enabled for your Gaming Clients :)

Could you please write a simple step by step guide how to do this?

Thank you in advance!
See Post #1 => https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=52419.msg270603#msg270603 ;)
Weird guy who likes everything Linux and *BSD on PC/Laptop/Tablet/Mobile and funny little ARM based boards :)


Quote from: bamf on September 30, 2026, 05:26:42 PM
Quote from: nero355 on September 30, 2026, 05:19:26 PMSee Post #1 => https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=52419.msg270603#msg270603 ;)

Why? What's the benefit of Static Port over Endpoint-Independent NAT?
I can't tell you that yet, but to solve Strict NAT issues and moving to Moderate NAT that is the way to go :)

So far it seems you can't combine both so I am not sure if Endpoint-Independent NAT will solve that issue too...
Weird guy who likes everything Linux and *BSD on PC/Laptop/Tablet/Mobile and funny little ARM based boards :)

September 30, 2026, 06:43:56 PM #50 Last Edit: September 30, 2026, 06:52:54 PM by bamf
Quote from: nero355 on September 30, 2026, 06:05:55 PMSo far it seems you can't combine both so I am not sure if Endpoint-Independent NAT will solve that issue too...

It does resolve this issue in a more secure way than Static Port. EIM-NAT is a fairly recent addition to OPNsense, and I migrated my rules for online gaming away from static port as soon as it became available. You might still need static ports for specific scenarios like SIP, but for gaming clients, EIM-NAT is definitely the more secure route now.

There's a good explanation of the details in the Netgate documentation here: https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/nat/outbound.html#endpoint-independent-port-restricted-cone-nat

Quote from: bamf on September 30, 2026, 06:43:56 PM
Quote from: nero355 on September 30, 2026, 06:05:55 PMSo far it seems you can't combine both so I am not sure if Endpoint-Independent NAT will solve that issue too...

It does resolve this issue in a more secure way than Static Port.
Can you give me some "real world" examples ?

I have read some stuff about it already like :
QuoteThere's a good explanation of the details in the Netgate documentation here: https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/nat/outbound.html#endpoint-independent-port-restricted-cone-nat
But I am not yet sure what to do with it to be honest...
Weird guy who likes everything Linux and *BSD on PC/Laptop/Tablet/Mobile and funny little ARM based boards :)