English Forums > Zenarmor (Sensei)

CPU score? What does it really mean?

(1/2) > >>

Greg_E:
I'm testing on an HP T740 with AMD Ryzen V1756B (4 cores,8 threads), Liteon 120GB SATA m.2 SSD (cheap at about $6), and 8gb of ram, still just barely staggering through getting the interfaces up after some problems getting BSD to properly load on this hardware.

So I installed Zenarmor, mostly so I could see what the CPU score was, and got this value: 636542.

Doing a little searching I've found that an Intel N100 gave a 8xxxxx score yet passmark rates the AMD processor as faster than the n100 in single and multithread...

I guess my question is, does my score of 636542 mean this is a decent processor?

I'm probably going to buy a larger pair of ram modules and push it up to 16 or 32 (depends on price). My needs are under 100 workstations and gigabit maximum speed right now.

meyergru:
Your CPU seems to be in the same ballpark as an N100, however the specific scores depend heavily on what you measure, thus real-world speed may differ. That depends on # of threads vs. MHz, modern instructions sets with AES-NI or SSE for VPN and so on.

With these types of CPUs, you can expect 1 Gbps routing speed, provided that you do not use something like zenarmor or want the same speed over a VPN.

Seimus:
I will just add here,

That score is just a way how ZenArmor simply calculates if it even can handle the ZenEngine and DBs they use for it. But as @meyergru said real world usage depends.

ZenArmor currently doesn't use multi-core, its bind to one CPU, which in the end is resolving capping your throughput. They currently favor a faster single CPU vs multicore. Multi-core support for ZenArmor should come this year (at least per they Roadmap). I was told by them that potentially end of Q1 could be when they ship multi-core support.

https://www.zenarmor.com/roadmap

If you want to see what theoretical speed you can achieve they have a table for it in regards of single core performance.

https://www.zenarmor.com/docs/introduction/hardware-requirements

I have a N5105 and can hit 1G with ZenArmor. Hopefully they will be able to deliver multi-core support so I can hit above that as I have a 2x1G LAG on the LAN side.

Regards,
S.

cookiemonster:
I read yesterday the timeline has slipped for now. Seems 2025 for multithread for Zenarmor.

Seimus:

--- Quote from: cookiemonster on March 06, 2024, 10:30:03 am ---I read yesterday the timeline has slipped for now. Seems 2025 for multithread for Zenarmor.

--- End quote ---

Thats a bit disappointing....

By 2025 I may have already upgraded my HW to a stronger SOC. Which will fix the throughput cap for me, lol.

Regard,
S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version