Archive > 22.7 Legacy Series

Unable to Ping VLAN Gateway

<< < (3/4) > >>

Demusman:
You should really start your own thread with this.

opnsensemagic:

--- Quote from: Demusman on October 01, 2022, 05:30:12 pm ---You should really start your own thread with this.

--- End quote ---

If you think that is a good idea I'll pick a different subnet and do a similar VLAN setup so it's not 100% the same on a virtual setup.

CruseOPNsense:

--- Quote from: Demusman on September 30, 2022, 11:58:37 pm ---Vlan 1 should be "excluded" on port 4 but that shouldn't cause the issue you're having.

Do you have the dhcp server enabled on vlan 15?
Try it, it's a good test to see if you're actually connected.
Also, use the packet capture when pinging, you can usually trace the ping that way and see where you lose it.

If you don't get a dhcp address, you probably missed something in the switch.
If you have an intel nic you can install their ProSet driver and that will allow you to tag a vlan so you can then plug directly into the opnsense interface and access vlan15 from it.

All else looks good as far as I can see, your pics are so big I can't see the whole pic without scrolling over and that makes it easy to miss something.

--- End quote ---

I do have DHCP enabled on VLAN 15; what other aspects should I look for on the switch?

When I plug in my client directly into the OPNsense box, I'm unable to reach VLAN 15 (I have a diagram above of when I tested that).

Demusman:

--- Quote from: CruseOPNsense on October 02, 2022, 07:05:39 pm ---I do have DHCP enabled on VLAN 15; what other aspects should I look for on the switch?

When I plug in my client directly into the OPNsense box, I'm unable to reach VLAN 15 (I have a diagram above of when I tested that).

--- End quote ---

So do you receive an address from the dhcp server when using the switch?

As I said above, you can't just plug into the router and expect to use vlan15. You would need to tag the pc's nic with vlan15 in order to access it. Otherwise you'll just be using the pvid of the interface which is the LAN in your case.

CruseOPNsense:

--- Quote from: Demusman on October 03, 2022, 12:27:10 am ---
--- Quote from: CruseOPNsense on October 02, 2022, 07:05:39 pm ---I do have DHCP enabled on VLAN 15; what other aspects should I look for on the switch?

--- End quote ---

So do you receive an address from the dhcp server when using the switch?

As I said above, you can't just plug into the router and expect to use vlan15. You would need to tag the pc's nic with vlan15 in order to access it. Otherwise you'll just be using the pvid of the interface which is the LAN in your case.

--- End quote ---

I understand that, when I plug it directly into the OPNsense box, I receive a DHCP address under the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. Even when I assign a static IP while plugged directly into the OPNsense box, I'm unable to reach the VLAN. When I'm plugged into the switch port, I receive an APIPA address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version