Archive > 16.7 Legacy Series

Support List of WIFI cards?

<< < (2/3) > >>

packet loss:
Initially Solaris17 said he was using 16.7 alpha with HBSD kernel. I'm wondering at this point which version of Freebsd the OPNsense alpha version is using. lattera my question to you is whether or not your back ported kernel patch resulting in a compatible kernel for Freebsd 10.2 causes wireless issues? I understand there is an obvious issue with the wireless stack in Freebsd 11 but what about 10.2 with your back ported kernel? While testing your kernel I didn't test wireless since I use a separate wireless access point.

Somewhat confused though as to what Solaris17 is actually using since he stated in his last reply "I am running hardened BSD". OPNsense alpha version 16.7 isn't HardenedBSD from my understanding.

Solaris17:
Sorry A misunderstanding. I am using the ASLR Kernel. 16.1.9

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=2690.0

I can tear it down this weekend and look to get an precise model number though I believe it is a Centrino N 6200.

My current Version numbers are

OPNsense 16.7.a_880-amd64   
FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p14   
LibreSSL 2.2.6

Zeitkind:

--- Quote from: Solaris17 on April 27, 2016, 05:51:09 am ---I believe it is a Centrino N 6200

--- End quote ---

Quite sure it won't even do ad-hoc - not to mention hostap.
Tbh, I do recommend against any WiFi from Intel, no matter if you run FreeBSD or Linux, because they often have closed microcode and therefor do not support hostap on Linux and xBSD.
Best choice is Atheros, some Ralink, Marvell and Lucent will also work. Check before buying if the card has support for hostap on open source OS's and if your hardware is not crippled in BIOS to only support some selected Wifi hardware (HP and Dell often do this crap).

Solaris17:
No buying necessary. As I stated earlier in the thread. Just for testing. I actually have an AP handle my wireless. If Intel cards dont work (though recommend which is confusing) then so be it. I was simply looking for information. It isn't the end of the world.

Zeitkind:

--- Quote from: Solaris17 on April 27, 2016, 04:08:08 pm ---I actually have an AP handle my wireless. If Intel cards dont work (though recommend which is confusing) then so be it.

--- End quote ---

Intel WiFi cards are nice and stable and a good choice if used as client. But they lack support for hostap and sometimes even ad-hoc. I found this list for pfsense:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11cF4UoNL68Me5ZC6qhjFPmzdW7mib56dBIAKz30Qpug/edit?hl=en#gid=0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version