Archive > 16.7 Legacy Series

Support List of WIFI cards?

(1/3) > >>

Solaris17:
Im using the 16.7 alpha and the HBSD kernel. Im trying to get my intel wifi card to work as wifi. I have an AP which works great actually, I'm just trying to get experience configuring them, because you never know. Unfortunately while I can see my NIC enabling it is a different beast entirely, I cannot set it to access point mode. It seems only capable of finding other networks.

packet loss:
Since OPNsense is based on Freebsd 10.2 the wireless device list link I'm providing below should be able to answer your question:

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/hardware.html#wlan

What Intel wifi card are you using?

Zeitkind:
Not sure if there are any Intel Wifi cards supporting hostap..
Do a "ifconfig <interfacename> list caps" and see if hostap is listed, eg.

drivercaps=6f85edc1<STA,FF,TURBOP,IBSS,HOSTAP,AHDEMO,TXPMGT,SHSLOT,SHPREAMBLE,MONITOR,MBSS,WPA1,WPA2,BURST,WME,WDS,BGSCAN,TXFRAG>
cryptocaps=1f<WEP,TKIP,AES,AES_CCM,TKIPMIC>

If hostap is not in list, this card or driver AFAIK can't work as an access point.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html
30.3.6. FreeBSD Host Access Points

lattera:

--- Quote from: Solaris17 on April 17, 2016, 04:29:35 am ---Im using the 16.7 alpha and the HBSD kernel. Im trying to get my intel wifi card to work as wifi. I have an AP which works great actually, I'm just trying to get experience configuring them, because you never know. Unfortunately while I can see my NIC enabling it is a different beast entirely, I cannot set it to access point mode. It seems only capable of finding other networks.

--- End quote ---

Hey Solaris17,

If you're using the HardenedBSD-based build, wireless is broken. FreeBSD 11-CURRENT switched to a new wireless networking stack that prevents OPNsense's UI from working right with regards to wireless. Fixing this is on my list of things to do, but ENOTIME.

If you're looking for wireless capabilities, I'd suggest you run vanilla OPNsense.

Solaris17:
Nope that must be it! I am running hardened BSD. I just wanted to get my hands dirty with integrated wifi. I actually use unifi APs attached to my switch for primary wifi. In no big rush, just playing with my dev router. Thanks again for all the work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version