English Forums > Hardware and Performance

Comcast gigabit and OpnSense slow speeds.

(1/3) > >>

LostnIL:
Hi Everyone.

I am new to OpnSense and I was wondering if it is possible to achieve gigabit downloads with Comcast (DOCSIS 3.1 modem) with OpnSense?

Comcast > My Own Modem (DOCSIS 3.1) > Proxmox VM

i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
NVME
64GB of RAM, 8 dedicated to OpnSense VM.

Testing from Comcast Cable (xx.xxx.xx.xx)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by i3 Broadband () [1.86 km]: 35.827 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 619.69 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed...
.Upload: 39.37 Mbit/s

I've read a lot on the internet but I can't seem to get my speeds above 620 Mbit/s. Has anyone had any luck with similar setups?

bunchofreeds:
I'm getting Gigabit (900/400 is my internet) through my OPNsense running as a VM on Proxmox.
My Proxmox host hardware is less than yours but I do have an additional dual port 82576EB Intel card. These external Intel ports are attached to two linux bridges, one for WAN and one for LAN.
Pretty simple and straight forward setup.
I'm using virtio NIC's for OPNsense.
I have not applied any tunables to OPNsense.
OPNsense has 8GB RAM, 4vCPU, 10GB Disk backed by SSD.

Another VM on the same host and connected to LAN (vmbr2) blasts 900/400 using the speedtest.net CLI tool.
This is a Windows server 2019 guest.

A Physical Desktop connected to a switch and then to the Proxmox host via LAN also tests 900/400.

So it certainly is possible.

Are you using Intel NIC's? I hear anything else is problematic but can't confirm this.
Are you testing using the Speedtest.net CLI tool and not the standard web browsed method?
Have you tried iPerf3?

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Xtreme Networks
        ISP: 2degrees Mobile
    Latency:     1.81 ms   (0.24 ms jitter)
   Download:   915.50 Mbps (data used: 460.4 MB)
     Upload:   495.86 Mbps (data used: 396.5 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.0%

LostnIL:
I picked up a dual NIC locally. Thank you for sharing your setup and experience. It is nice knowing it is possible, I really want to stick with OpnSense but if I can't get my full speeds, I'm going to have to find another solution.

The NIC I am using:
10Gtek
82576-GE-2T-X1
Intel 82576
PCIe x1

I am using the python3 speedtest cli script.

bunchofreeds:
I have a fresh install of the latest OPNsense 21.7.3-amd64
Make sure you are not running any additional services like IPS or even config like DynDNS initially. Just as vanilla as possible.

My OPNsense was installed as 'Other' (Not Linux etc within Proxmox)
I have selected QEMU guest agent and run this in the OPNsense guest through plugins
It only has two interfaces being WAN and LAN

I'm not sure how much you know about virtualisation, but make sure you are dedicating the NIC's to OPNsense as much as possible to ensure it has physical bandwidth to achieve what you want. Less sharing basically. Thinking about how much each VM is sending and receiving during your test within your host and on what network paths.

Make sure you have setup your disks correctly (I use 'discard' with an older SSD).
VirtIO SCSI and the disks are SCSI.
Make sure they are targeting your NVME and its actually giving you the IOPS you expect when tested at the host.
I use I/O Thread also as an option when selecting disk type.

Virtio seems best for NIC interfaces.

I tested using this
https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli

OH and make sure your OPNsense is not running/showing Reporting>Traffic Graphs. This slows my throughput considerably!

LostnIL:
bunchofreeds

I don't have IPS on. It looks like I do have reports running. I am trying to find out how to shut those off.

I have dedicated a dual intel NIC to OpnSense:

OpnSense (vmbr1)vtnet0 = WAN (vmbr2)vtnet1 = LAN

and then my VMs are using a separate Linux (vmbr0)bridge to another physical nic.

--- Quote ---I have selected QEMU guest agent and run this in the OPNsense guest through plugins
--- End quote ---

In Proxmox, I created an actual VM for it, not a LXC container. Is that what you did?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version