English Forums > High availability

How to do IPv6 with DHCPv6-PD?

<< < (8/8)

Patrick M. Hausen:
Same here - hadn't noticed. Possibly it is trying to use the CARP address to ping the GW ...

meschmesch:
Everything seems to work now. Please note that I had to set RA to stateless or assisted. Otherwise Android devices won't be able to use IPv6.

meschmesch:
Another finding regarding Dynamic DNS: In case I have WAN DHCPv6 as well as a WAN CARP Address configured, Dynamic DNS will public the Carp address.

Is there a way to teach Dynamic DNS the address to use?

Phoenix4:

--- Quote from: pmhausen on November 21, 2021, 07:32:19 pm ---Same here - hadn't noticed. Possibly it is trying to use the CARP address to ping the GW ...

--- End quote ---

For me the IPv6 gateway shows down on both master and backup as dpinger is binding to the WAN interface address rather than the CARP VIP. As I only have a single GUA for the WAN link, the WAN interface addresses are ULA (I.e. not in the same subnet as the VIP):

--- Code: ---root@router-nuc:~ # ps x | grep dpinger
40628  -  Is      0:00.02 /usr/local/bin/dpinger -f -S -r 0 -i WAN_GWv6 -B fd00:1234:5678:90ab::5 -p /var/run/dpinger_WAN_GWv6.pid -u /var/run/dpinger_WAN_GWv6.sock -C /usr/local/etc/rc.syshook monitor -s

--- End code ---

On the other hand the IPv4 gateway monitor binds to the VIP and it works.

From what I can see, determination of the address to bind to is done in dpinger_configure_do(). For IPv4, it iterates through the interface IPs until it finds one in the same subnet as the monitor address, so in my case it finds the VIP address. For IPv6, if the monitor address isn't an LLA it uses interfaces_primary_address6() to get the bind address which basically finds the first valid address which isn't an alias. It doesn't do the subnet check.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version