Archive > 21.1 Legacy Series

Wrong domain name w/Unbound DHCP leases with multiple VLANs

(1/7) > >>

ctrlbrk:
I am having the same issue as this 3 year old post:

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=7983.0

I have multiple VLANs.  Each VLAN running its own interface DHCP on OPN.  The domain name is different for each VLAN.

The problem is that the dhcpleases.conf generated by Unbound has only the "main" domain name picked up from System > Settings > General > Domain name.

This ends up creating a resolution problem.

Help :)

Fright:
its all in help text for unbound settings:
DHCP Domain Override: The domain name to use for DHCP hostname registration. If empty, the default system domain is used. Note that all DHCP leases will be assigned to the same domain. If this is undesired, static DHCP lease registration is able to provide coherent mappings.

ctrlbrk:

--- Quote from: Fright on July 26, 2021, 09:45:29 pm ---its all in help text for unbound settings:
DHCP Domain Override: The domain name to use for DHCP hostname registration. If empty, the default system domain is used. Note that all DHCP leases will be assigned to the same domain. If this is undesired, static DHCP lease registration is able to provide coherent mappings.

--- End quote ---

Would you look at that.  RTFM :)

I didn't have full help toggled so missed that apparently.

OK, but you might guess my next question --- while I have a small number of static DHCP leases, the overwhelming majority are not.  So what is the proposed solution or workaround?

It seems like this is a fairly major limitation if I am understanding correctly.  Isn't it pretty standard to have multiple DHCP servers on more than one subnet/VLAN with unique domain naming convention?

I would be willing to accept a command line solution if necessary.

Appreciate your help.

Fright:
It seems like this is a fairly major limitation
agree but
I have not looked at the code (yet) but I suspect that if this is still not implemented, then it is not so easy to do.
first obstacle i can think about is the lack of domain info in dhcpd leases db-file.
although its possible to try to read the config and match the lease range->domain
(these are only guesses so far)

franco:
Yes, no link between leases and interfaces exists unless:

(1) DHCPD services are split between interfaces each producing a separate lease file.

(2) Python code responsible for lease file parsing gains insight into lease ranges and their interfaces.

I would assume (2) is more favourable than (1), but it's still serious work that won't be done for no pressing reason since the limitations are known and haven't been a hindrance in the open source scope so far.

Cheers,
Franco

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version