International Forums > Japanese - 日本語

(1/2) > >>

dotike:
Re-generating EN canonical .pot file, building from the ground up.
By the end, a completely fresh, and code-accurate .pot file will exist- (but will still need some hacking to make the UI php/gettext pick up the right .pot file)

The old .pot files were discarded, (fresh start for OPNsense), a new English gettext .pot file needs to be created as a canonical base, (for all other languages to follow).  Perhaps if other languages dominate, 'en' won't be canonical- but at the moment, it most certainly is.

再生成するゼロから構築、EN標準的な.POTファイルを。
年末までに、完全に新鮮な、とコードの正確な.POTファイルが既存します(まだUIのPHPを作るためにいくつかのハッキングが必要になります/右.POTファイルを拾うのgettext)

古い.POTファイルは、(新たなスタートOPNsense用)、(他のすべての言語が従うことのために)ファイル.POT新しい英語のgettextは、標準的なベースとして作成する必要があり、廃棄した。他の言語が支配している場合、おそらく、「EN」canonical-されませんが、現時点では、それは最も確かにある。

--
Before work can really be unleashed on JA translation, the EN base really needs to get done.
作業は本当にJA翻訳に解き放たれる前に、ENベースは本当に片付ける必要がある。

This en first pass is in progress here, I'll keep chipping at it as I can make time this week:
このEN最初のパスは、私はこの週時間を作ることができますように私はそれを欠けておこう、ここで進行中です。

https://github.com/dotike/opnsense.core.ja_JP.UTF8/commits/381eeb644fc223412e17927aff98a925f3477022/src/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/OPNsense.pot

franco:
Hi Ike,

how is it going, do you need any help with the infrastructure or commits merged into core.git?  Keep up the good work. :)

Cheers,
Franco

dotike:
Hi Franco,

I just cleaned  up my repo, (I got pretty messy in there, hack hack hack...) don't need help with the repo itself though-

When I finish the EN base, I'll gladly submit the single file as a merge request, from this branch:
https://github.com/dotike/opnsense.core.ja_JP.UTF8/tree/locale.EN.canonical

--
Basic status is this:

I've now been through 3 or 4 full passes, catching all the big issues now- and it's just down to a race to finish the last manual pass through the English .pot file.

- The branch I'm working from is now 28 days old, and I'll need to check the diff for any relevant changes to the translation file.
(Incedentally, I found a number of odd gettext calls in the source which I'll address later)

- After a lot of slogging through the source code, I could generate much of the English .pot file content in an automated manner.  Yet, as with problems like this, comprehensive parsers take far longer to write than just editing the file- there are so many edge cases for how the strings are handled in the codebase.

Expected outcome: when I'm done with this pass, a functional .en POT file will be ready to push upstream, and I'll submit a pull request as soon as that's ready.  Yet, there will be a few things still to do from there:

--
When the English file is done:

- Japanese, (and any other languages) can begin translation work
- OPNsense core will want to maintain the English file, as the canonical base for all other languages
- The gettext machinery will need to be hooked up in to make it all work

Best,
.ike

dotike:
A quick followup, here's the English file I'm working on:

https://github.com/dotike/opnsense.core.ja_JP.UTF8/blob/locale.EN.canonical/src/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/OPNsense.pot

franco:
Hi Isaac,

--- Quote from: dotike on April 12, 2015, 02:36:48 am ---- The branch I'm working from is now 28 days old, and I'll need to check the diff for any relevant changes to the translation file.
(Incedentally, I found a number of odd gettext calls in the source which I'll address later)
--- End quote ---

I read about those in your commits. The gettext() usage is quite bizarre at times. If you can point me to the lines or add pull requests for those that'd be lovely.

Speaking of gettext, I was thinking we should maybe consider doing the "__()" trick consistently. For one "_()" is just easier on the eyes and the double underscore makes it possible to replace the translation function if we ever decide to switch to non-gettext variants. What do you think?

--- Quote from: dotike on April 12, 2015, 02:36:48 am ---- After a lot of slogging through the source code, I could generate much of the English .pot file content in an automated manner.  Yet, as with problems like this, comprehensive parsers take far longer to write than just editing the file- there are so many edge cases for how the strings are handled in the codebase.
--- End quote ---

I'm all for ditching edge cases. Maybe we also need guidelines on what is translated and how dynamic strings and html are embedded (or not). A wiki page or README on this would certainly help to keep the English translations high in quality. I'm not a professional in that regard as well, so I believe that would be a chance to improve and share knowledge.

--- Quote from: dotike on April 12, 2015, 02:36:48 am ---Expected outcome: when I'm done with this pass, a functional .en POT file will be ready to push upstream, and I'll submit a pull request as soon as that's ready.  Yet, there will be a few things still to do from there:
--- End quote ---

Looking forward to it. :)

--- Quote from: dotike on April 12, 2015, 02:36:48 am ---- OPNsense core will want to maintain the English file, as the canonical base for all other languages
- The gettext machinery will need to be hooked up in to make it all work
--- End quote ---

Agreed, we can definitely do that.

Cheers,
Franco

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version