English Forums > Hardware and Performance

APU.2C2 performance

(1/1)

Kilrathy:
Hi

I got a APU.2C2 for testing purposes from PC Engines. The hardware specs a really cool:

* GX-412TC quad core
* 2GB
* 3 Intel GigE
But yeah, more details are already here: https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=1556.msg4848

I'm not finished with testing, but at the first tests I "only" got something around 400Mbit/s with classical NAT/firewalling. Tests with iperf3 sometimes reported around 611Mbit/s. But daily examples with ftp or jDownloader gave me good 390-400Mbit/s.

What do you think, is this all what the hardware can throughput? Any other experiences here with the new board?

interfaSys:
There are so many factors which can influence the results. You've connected two powerful computers, one on WAN and the other on LAN and did not set up any other service? Or did you simply connect to an external server?

I almost got one of these devices, but ultimately, I decided that 1Ghz was too slow for decent OpenVPN speed.

Do you have a VPN account you can test with? :)

One thing which is nice is that it supports AVX and that can speed up good encryption ciphers such as chacha20+poly1305. On one system, this ends up being faster than using AES-NI.

If you ever want to test it (you need a patched OpenSSL or LibreSSL if it's not broken any more with AES-NI):

--- Code: ---# openssl speed -elapsed -evp aes-256-cbc
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---# openssl speed -elapsed chacha20-poly1305
--- End code ---

interfaSys:
Another test you could run

--- Code: ---# openvpn --genkey --secret /tmp/secret
# time openvpn --test-crypto --secret /tmp/secret --verb 0 --tun-mtu 20000 --cipher aes-256-cbc
--- End code ---

Kilrathy:
Hi

In the meantime, I tried another iperf tests with two good computers (both i7, 6GB etc. etc.). The results are even better and I got stable 400Mbit/s (Macbook tests were at stable 360) - I could peak to 760Mbit/s when used "-P 2" for two parallel connections in iperf.

CPU is in both cases around 30% and 70% load - the APU.2 BIOS from january is still beta and PC Engines said there should be bit more performance with the final version. :-)

At the moment I have no VPN connection which I could test... I have to wait, when I'm back at work, so I can install the opnsense on a 1 Gbit/s Link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version