Archive > 20.1 Legacy Series

ntpd both running and not running?

<< < (5/5)

danb35:
So apparently the official answer (https://twitter.com/opnsense/status/1293624624606072834 - it's on Twitter, so it must be official, right?) is "we don't know what's going on, we don't know how to track it down, and we can't be bothered to try to figure it out."  Disappointing.

For some updates--the problem is present in 20.1.9 on a Netgate RCC-VE-2440.  It's still there when I upgrade that installation to 20.7.  It's also present on a clean install of 20.7 on a Protectli FW4B, with the configuration file imported from the previous system.  So maybe it's something that's only affecting me, but it's doing it across two different releases of the software and on two different systems.

So, since this seems to be at a dead end, on to Chrony.  It installs just fine.  It starts up and appears to run without errors, which puts it ahead of ntpd.  I'm noticing what seems to be one bug, though--there's a field in the GUI for "Allowed Networks", but it only lets me enter one network--when I enter a second one, I get a validation error.

franco:
> we don't know what's going on, we don't know how to track it down, and we can't be bothered to try to figure it out.

To be frank, it's not what the Twitter response actually says.

Looking at https://blog.fosketts.net/2015/09/21/the-ideal-pfsense-platform-netgate-rcc-ve-2440/ it would seem that "Rangeley dual-core Atom 1.7 GHz CPU" is pretty thin and the Twitter response already states that both Ntpd and OpenVPN issues may be related to a sluggish system performance. We also point to a ticket where the OpenVPN issue is explained and log messages exist to diagnose this particular problem.

I can't spend time on this personally beyond a certain amount of community help as I am neither paid in something to do with OPNsense nor willing to cut short my off-work family time. I'm sorry.

Maybe someone else can. There is also a commercial offering and it is usually pretty good. But I feel that is not the point of this live debugging session anymore.

Cheers,
Franco

mimugmail:
Can you Open a Bug Report in GitHub regarding Allowed Networks? I fix this after vacation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version