Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Kevin G.

#1
Worked on this for a bit last night, while the wife was at the gym. Ran the audits...they came back "Connectivity" fine, "Security" a couple vulnerabilities that I will ask about later..."Health" was looking for other (updated) packages, so I was clearly connected to the mirrors. Just nothing on my machines.

Since I was connecting to the mirror, and it showed 26.7.2 was available, I ran the update. It cleared. I checked the "Rules" again. Legacy rules were there, but none appeared in my current ruleset. I re-imported the .csv, and applied. Instant connectivity. Now on 26.7.2

I have no clue if I did something wrong importing them originally, or they just weren't taking correctly. They were in the UI, so I assumed they were working, with maybe one of them out of order or something. Ran a few other tests with some other clients on my system, all seems good.

I DO have an issue with the UPnP Service, that looks to be a common problem on 26.7.x (I have a dedicated interface assigned as a DMZ, static IP separated from the rest of the network, only for Xbox). 

Marking as resolved. HUGE thanks to all that invested time in me! Off to look at dnsmasq, and UPnP. 
#2
Quote from: drosophila on August 20, 2026, 01:57:44 AM
Quote from: Kevin G. on August 16, 2026, 08:59:07 PMGot stuck in a "rebooting now" and returning to the Lobby/Dashboard loop, assumed the update failed. (...) manually reboot the Opnsense box
The update very likely was not complete. Do a health audit (System->Firmware->Status-Run an Audit), I bet it'll come up unclean.

I'll look at this now...thanks.
Wait, does it need to reach the internet to do this?
#3
SO, where do I go from here?

Thinking more of a fresh install...but hate the thought of rebuilding everything. Which begs the original questions...

If I fresh install, will my config file bring everything over including Legacy ISC AND Legacy Rules?
OR will a fresh install of 26.7 include the Rule Migration Tool? OR does a fresh 26.7 install have all of it's own basic rules?
#4
Quote from: cookiemonster on August 16, 2026, 10:42:25 PMwith loads of successful upgrades so far I can only assume some sort of setup/settings have come to bite.
Thank you for the reply.

QuoteWhat makes you think that you need to install the bootloader to the secondary drive?
It was just part of what I have been reading needs to be done to get ZFS corrected?

QuoteDo you have a mirrored pair of disks for the OS ? If yes, then it is a likely possibility but if you can boot after the upgrade, then you can look at that afterwards.
Yes, and i can boot to OpnSense and look at (what appears to be) a working build...other than no internet access.

QuoteWhat's the status now, is it rolledback via a snapshot?
No, it's completely in the state of the upgrade and migrated rules. UI works, I get the new dashboard, Rules appear to be in place...I had too many questions to give up on it, or attempt a fresh install. Someone on the app thought it might be the kernel fail...but it doesn't (didn't) stay in the boot loop. When I manually restarted, the upgrade must have continued (or I hadn't waited long enough).

QuoteNote that if you had to put the isp router back in and then had router-behind-a-router, then that could account for no clients hitting it.
I only put the ISP provided router in to get things working. My wife works from home, so I need a contingency to keep her up and running. The OpnSense box is offline while the ISP router is in place. I can only devote time to the fix late at night, or on the weekends.
#5
New to the forums, I did check many other previous posts. Have been searching for over a week. Attempted the upgrade last weekend, trying to revisit this weekend...

From My Reddit Post:

Baremetal, i5/3rd Gen, 16GB Ram. ZFS

I have been sweating the update for weeks. Saw several posts and prepared myself the best I could. Attempted the upgrade tonight and lost all connectivity. Build: ZFS (snapshot before upgrade), never had microcode plugin installed, Legacy ISC, simple rules migrated over, backed up Config. Began the upgrade.

Got stuck in a "rebooting now" and returning to the Lobby/Dashboard loop, assumed the update failed. Started to disconnect to add my ISP/backup router back in to troubleshoot, decided to manually reboot the Opnsense box, patiently waited, and heard the boot chime. Logged in from my daily driver desktop, and saw the new dashboard with 26.7.1. Loaded rules via the migration tool, verified they were there, deleted "Legacy Rules" via the tool. Success! ...Nope, no devices on my network receiving any connection. I cannot find the issue, but the Live logs show no traffic being let in whatsoever (all blocked).

I have no clue how to install the bootloader to the secondary drive. Reading tons on it, but just don't understand any of it.

Switched to my backup/ISP provided router, for now...hope to dive in some more tomorrow.

Any insights would be great.

Feels like this is simply a rules issue, but don't know where to begin.

If I need a fresh install, that isn't a big deal, I just have a few questions.
Will I still be able to migrate my old rules?
Are there "new" default rules with a fresh install?
Will my old 26.1 config files work with a fresh install of 26.7 (Legacy ISC and Legacy Rules)? I hope to migrate to dnsmasq, but would prefer to be running first.