Archive > 18.1 Legacy Series

[SOLVED] PPPoE with VLAN Tagging

(1/1)

thewolf56:
Hello everyone.  It's been a while since I have posted, but I have learned a lot from many people here.

I have a qotom q355-g4 running opnsense 18.1.13 (waiting a little bit to upgrade to 18.7) sitting on my desk and I hope to be able to plug it back in as my main router.  The WAN is currently set as dhcp.

I upgraded to CenturyLink gigabit fiber service and had issues trying to connect the OPNsense box and resorted to using the isp's gateway, so I pulled the OPNsense box to when I had more time to figure this out.

Thanks to the help of many here and some other tutorials I found online, I was able to setup and successfully connect to 2 different OpenVPN Servers through OPNsense and I was also able to SSH and install the Ubiquity Unifi controller on the qotom box.

Now I need to setup the VLAN -tagged PPPoE interface to connect to Centurylink's service.  The VLAN tag is 201.   I have my PPPoE username and password (encrypted and non-encrypted).  I looked to see if there is a guide for noobs, but I am kind of at a loss.

The qotom has for nics (igb0 - WAN, igb1 - LAN, igb2 - OPT1, igb3 - OPT2).  I plan on using OPT1 later on as a LTE failover for certain IP addresses, but that is a future item.

I have setup a VLAN in Interfaces --> Other Types --> VLAN and made the following selections:

* Parent Interface - igb0 - wan
* VLAN tag - 201
* VLAN Priority - Best Effort (0, default)
I'm not sure where to go from here.  I know I will need to go to Interfaces --> WAN and select PPPoE from the IPv4 Configuration Type and then enter my username, password, enable Dial-On-Demand, and enter 0 Idle timeout. 

What would I do after this point?

I appreciate any help on this.  Thanks in advance. 

marjohn56:
At that point see if connects and logs in. Check the logs and see what's reported.

thewolf56:

--- Quote from: marjohn56 on August 06, 2018, 10:57:09 am ---At that point see if connects and logs in. Check the logs and see what's reported.

--- End quote ---

Thanks marjohn56.  the only thing I did differently than what I had posted is it seems that OPNsense does not allow for  enabling Dial-On-Demand with a 0 timeout.  So, I did not check "Dial-On-Demand" and left the time out blank.  It's been working great since (other than the igb with pppoe "feature").

Thanks again for the help.  If nothing else, hopefully this thread can help another networking noob figure out pppoe with vlan tagging eith opnsense.

thereaper:

--- Quote from: thewolf56 on August 03, 2018, 11:25:48 pm ---I have setup a VLAN in Interfaces --> Other Types --> VLAN and made the following selections:

* Parent Interface - igb0 - wan
* VLAN tag - 201
* VLAN Priority - Best Effort (0, default)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! Just in case, my full settings for a provider with VLAN tagging and PPPoE:

Interfaces - Other Types - VLAN = [ Iface: re0, Tag: 2, PCP: 0 ]. Creates new interface re0_vlan2
Interfaces - Point-to-Point - Devices = [ Iface: re0, Iface(s): re0_vlan2 ]. Fill in login/password here. Creates new interface pppoe0
Interfaces - Assignments - WAN = pppoe2
Interfaces - WAN - IPv4 Configuration Type = PPPoE
Reboot. Check in Interfaces - WAN, that login/password been populated from pppoe0.
Check Dashboard WAN and Gateway/WAN_PPPOE for populated IP addresses.
Check  Interfaces - Point-to-Point - Log file

Took me an hour. Also, it is worth checking settings in ISP provided router :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version