English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

HOWTO - Redirect all DNS Requests to Opnsense

<< < (2/17) > >>

Wired Life:
I try to redirect to a dns server inside the lan with this rule

But it doesnt work :(
please help

P-Kalk:
Thank you, tested whit nslookup and works great.

GDixon:
  from chris42
--- Quote ---How would this work on ipv6? I tried to mimic the NAT rules for ipv6, however then the DNS queries fail completely

--- End quote ---

Excellent question what would be the destination for IPv6 or what is the equivalent to 127.0.0.1 for IPv6?

would it be ::1 for the loopback like 127.0.0.1 is for IPv4 loopback?

Ciprian:
Also, pay attention to non-standard DNS ports used by public DNS servers, ports like 5353, 9953 and alike... And for DNS-over-TLS the standard port is 853.

A really tech savvy user will bypass your forced DNS redirection anyway!

p1n0ck10:

--- Quote from: GDixon on November 26, 2018, 05:20:07 am ---  from chris42
--- Quote ---How would this work on ipv6? I tried to mimic the NAT rules for ipv6, however then the DNS queries fail completely

--- End quote ---

Excellent question what would be the destination for IPv6 or what is the equivalent to 127.0.0.1 for IPv6?

would it be ::1 for the loopback like 127.0.0.1 is for IPv4 loopback?

--- End quote ---

Normally ::1 is the IPv6-localhost-Address. I must configure the IPv6-Address of the Interface (created an Alias) instead of ::1 in the NAT Rule and then it works. The clients resolves DNS-Records even if using his own IPv6-DNS-Servers.

I tested this with my Android Phone. This has the App DNSChanger installed
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frostnerd.dnschanger
with this App you can use other DNS-Server. With the IPv6 DNS NAT Rule you can farther resolve your own DNS-Records in the Override Tab from Unbound DNS. Normally when using a external DNS-Server you can't resolve internal DNS-Records.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version