Archive > 18.1 Legacy Series

***call for testing*** DNS TLS encryption using Quad9 and Cloudflare DNS servers

(1/16) > >>

opnfwb:
Call out for testing DNS over TLS with the new Quad9 and Cloudflare DNS servers that have been discussed recently. I wanted to see if we could get the default Unbound instance in OPNsense to use these new DNS encrypted and privacy oriented DNS providers.

I’m currently using these and this appears to be working because I can see all of the outbound queries in the pfTop view on OPNsense. I see outbound DNS queries on port 853 going to the addresses that I have specified in the custom options. Internal LAN queries come in over port 53 as per usual but outbound queries to the WAN now happen on Port 853 to the DNS TLS providers listed below.

Here are the settings I have configured to get Unbound to send DNS over TLS to Quad9 and Cloudflare.

OPNsense x86_64 18.1.5
UnboundDNS/General

--- Code: ---Enable DNS resolver (checked)
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---Enable DNSSEC support (checked)
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---Enable Forwarding mode (UNCHECKED, had to do this to get these to work)
--- End code ---

Paste these values in to the custom options field. Save/Apply settings.
Custom Options:

--- Code: ---ssl-upstream: yes
forward-zone:
name: "."
forward-addr: 9.9.9.9@853 #Quad9 ip4
forward-addr: 149.112.112.112@853 #Quad9 ip4
forward-addr: 2620:fe::fe@853 #Quad9 ip6
forward-addr: 1.1.1.1@853 #Cloudflare ip4
forward-addr: 1.0.0.1@853 #Cloudflare ip4
forward-addr: 2606:4700:4700::1111@853 #Cloudflare ip6
forward-addr: 2606:4700:4700::1001@853 #Cloudflare ip6
--- End code ---

You should now have DNS queries going to Port 853 using TLS to the addresses specified in the custom options field. Obviously, if you aren’t using ipv6, you can omit some of the addresses. If you only want to use Quad9 or Cloudflare, you can omit whichever provider you don’t want to use.
I’d love to have other folks try this out and report their findings.

As far as I can tell this seems to be working very well and it was quite easy to configure. However, I don't consider myself an "advanced" user and I would like to see feedback from others here just to ensure that this is a good setup to use going forward.

elektroinside:
Works perfectly fine here (so far).
Well done!

Although I would need to see those packets over a dump, to check if these are really going over TLS.

franco:
There is one Twitter thread here with an error report... https://twitter.com/colinsmall/status/981348043080585216

But it might be the ISP getting in the way.

Cheers,
Franco

elektroinside:
No such thing here... Still working fine :)

franco:
I've seen the no cipher warning recently... it was due to a PAN firewall playing with fire in SSL proxy / peek mode, but failing to know a couple of ciphers that LibreSSL could do. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version