English Forums > Intrusion Detection and Prevention

Opnsense security feature

(1/2) > >>

Ashwini:
Hi,

I am new to Opnsense.
Is it mandatory to have internet connection to use security feature of Opnsense?
I see there is a "Download and Update" option in IPS for installing few rules.
My question is can i download all rules and update at once and use it later without internet.
Will my Opnsense work perfectly without internet after updating once?

thanks in advance

phoenix:
I don't really understand your question, what would be the point of installing OPNsense if you're not using an internet connection? What is it you're actually trying to achieve?

Ciprian:

--- Quote from: Ashwini on March 20, 2018, 11:15:51 am ---Hi,

I am new to Opnsense.
Is it mandatory to have internet connection to use security feature of Opnsense?
I see there is a "Download and Update" option in IPS for installing few rules.
My question is can i download all rules and update at once and use it later without internet.
Will my Opnsense work perfectly without internet after updating once?

thanks in advance

--- End quote ---

To answer your question without other questions, YES, you CAN do that.

Now I have a question: what are you trying to protect/ secure since there is no internet involved? If you are using OPNsense just to connect/ route private networks, the approach is a totally different one.

Cheers, good luck!

franco:
Some lab environments require this. Some plugins won't work, but you can even bring updates into your private network for the OPNsense to use (it's a web server, rsync + enter firmware mirror URL).

Cheers,
Franco

Ashwini:
Hi,

My aim is to achieve below settings:
I have one hardware which has Opnsense(behaves as router and firewall) set up in vmware with no internet access. And i have a server where i have internet access. Other machines in network will have to communicate with this server.
So my intention is to protect this network, so that any external attacks to the server should not impact other machines connected in the network.
Now I wanted to know if it is possible to protect my network using Opnsense?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version