Archive > 15.1 Legacy Series

msk0 watchdog timeout

(1/2) > >>

smajor:
I'm fairly positive this is a FreeBSD bug, but thought I'd post here in case 1) someone has a workaround or 2) it isn't a FreeBSD bug.

I just installed OPNsense on an older PC using the built-in NIC (Marvel Yukon) and a USB adapter. This is really just for my home with a few users and it gets my WiFi router out of NAT/Gateway duty and into infrastructure mode.  So, not a lot of horsepower needed and there is a definite speed improvement and a lot more options!

Everything worked fantastic for about 12 hours, then the console showed:

msk0 watchdog timeout
prefetch unit stuck
initialization failed no memory for Rx buffers

msk0 is my LAN and obviously everything went dead until a reboot.

Again, I'm fairly positive this is a FreeBSD issue based a regression bug here in the 10.x series (there are also 2 other related reports that are in-progress:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=186872

My next step, pending other hints here, is to go with another USB Ethernet dongle to see if the error pops up again with a different interface.  The older PC I'm using is a small form factor with no PCI slots, hence the USB approach.

franco:
Hi there,

thanks for the link and the thorough description of the issue. I have added the alleged fix and built a custom kernel for you to try out:

# opnsense-update -kr 15.1.12_msk && reboot

(I am guessing you are using amd64, if not this won't work until you let me know.)

If you let us know if this works for you we can include the fix for 15.7 and also try to push it to FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Franco

smajor:
Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply - just fantastic!

I don't believe that will work for me, but correct me if I'm wrong. The older box is 32-bit only (core2duo that is 64-bit capable, but sadly no 64-bit BIOS support) so i386 is the version of OPNsense I've installed.

Thank you again.

franco:
Ok, will provide a i386 kernel for testing tomorrow morning. :)

franco:
Kernel for i386 is up, the command above remains the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version