Archive > 18.1 Legacy Series

[isolated: see #91] PPPoE reconnect loop

(1/21) > >>

schnipp:
Hi all,

I am new here in this forum. First, I would like to thank all the guys involved in releasing Opnsense 18.1. You did a really great job. Unfortunately, I have a problem with my PPPoE connection on the WAN interface. I read a lot to get my problem solved, but no solution yet :'(. Both in the Opnsense forum and some other FreeBSD forums similar problems are discussed, but I am not sure whether they are coincident.

After booting the system the PPPoE WAN connection works fine. But after interruption of the connection (e.g. dropping the connection after 24h like my ISP forces, other failures etc.) the system does not get a new stable PPPoE connection.

I tracked this issue down to packet capture. In general my ISP sends "PPP LCP echo request" packets every 10 seconds which the Opnsense answers immediately. But after interruption and reestablishing the PPPoE connection, the Opnsense does not answer incoming "PPP LCP echo request" packets anymore. After the fifth unanswered echo request my ISP drops the PPPoE connection. Afterwards the Opnsense tries to reconnect and runs in the infinite reconnection loop.

The only solution known to me is to reboot the system.

References:

* https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=4328.0
* https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=7003.0

kug1977:
Hi,

I'm on OPNsense 18.1.2 and I'm facing the same problem. Solution so far is the cron reboot every day.

Kind regards,
Kay-Uwe

schnipp:
Hi Kay-Uwe,

kann you tell me, what kinnd of configuration (e.g. modem) do you have on your WAN site?

I have a Fritzbox7412 in native bridge encapsulation mode and allow PPPoE passthrough. So the Opnsense sends PPPoE packet to the Fritzbox which encapsulates them into VLAN7 before forwarding to the BRAS.

franco:
Do you guys have IPS enabled?

Cheers,
Franco

elektroinside:
Heh :)
Just saw this.
@Franco, I guess I'm not alone :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version