Archive > 17.1 Legacy Series

How to give clients IP Address, Gateways and DNS using OPNSense?

(1/4) > >>

agustinrojen:
As seen in the image attached below. That will be my setup.

Default Internet IP Gateway: 192.168.254.254

My OPN Interfaces.

LAN (re0) -> v4: 192.168.1.1/24 (default. never changed after installation.
WAN(ue0) -> v4/DHCP4: 192.168.254.101/24

As you can see. Instead of using wireless driver NIC for my WAN. I used my first wired NIC as indicated below for my WAN interface, from Modem to OPNSense. That is why I got 192.168.254.101/24

So. I opened shell in my OPNsense and ping websites(google, facebook, etc.) to test my connection. Hopefully, I got a reply and it can ping those websites.

and my question is..

How do I set up OPNSense to give clients IP address, Gateways, and DNS? for internet connection.
As indicated below. I will be using my second wired NIC from OPNsense to my Switch and my Switch to the Clients.

Can someone help me with my problem? Btw. I'm a newbie when it comes network security. So, it'll be much appreciated if you gentlemen/women could help me. Thank you! I'll be waiting for your thoughtful replies.  :)

From Philippines.

bartjsmit:
Configure a DHCP server. Use the search in the web interface and look through the help.

We're here if you still have questions after that ;-)

Bart...

agustinrojen:
Im sorry sir. I think I've explained my setup wrong and in the other way. Please read this again. It's just a vice versa.

Default Internet IP Gateway: 192.168.254.254

My OPN Interfaces.

LAN (re0) -> v4:/DHCP4: 192.168.254.101/24
WAN(ue0) -> v4/DHCP4:

As you can see. Instead of using wireless driver NIC for my WAN. I used my second wired NIC as indicated below for my WAN interface.

I got 192.168.254.101/24 on my LAN interface because it was set into DHCP.

I just recently configured my DHCP server for LAN interface. But before I can configure dhcp server. I must make my LAN interface into a static form right?

So I change my LAN interface into static.

LAN (re0) -> v4:: 192.168.254.1/24
WAN(ue0) -> v4/DHCP4:

Then. I opened shell in my OPNsense and ping websites(google, facebook, etc.) to test my connection. Hopefully, I got a reply and it can ping those websites.

Then. I've already change my LAN IP into static. I just finished configuring my DHCP server for my LAN interface. But. How can I give my WAN an IP address(internet connection from my DHCP server). How can I give IP address or internet connection to my clients if my WAN interface doesn't have one. My WAN interface is set to DHCP4. I thought it will have an IP coming from my LAN DHCP. Am I wrong? Please help me.

So it'll be. MODEM -> OPNSense (LAN Static) DHCP Server -> OPNSense(WAN DHCP4) -> SWITCH -> CLIENTS

Thank you again!

From Philippines.

fabian:

--- Quote from: agustinrojen on January 26, 2018, 08:06:48 pm ---So it'll be. MODEM -> OPNSense (LAN Static) DHCP Server -> OPNSense(WAN DHCP4) -> SWITCH -> CLIENTS

--- End quote ---

Are you really connecting it incorrectly? WAN is the side at the modem and LAN where your client(s) is/are.
The DHCP Server should run on your LAN interface to give the clients some configuration.
The DHCP Client should run on WAN if you don't get a static IP.

LAN has a STATIC IP.
WAN has a DYNAMIC IP (via DHCP)

agustinrojen:
What do I need to do sir? I cant understand it :(

Heres my diagram to follow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version