Archive > 15.1 Legacy Series

pkg search/install etc

(1/4) > >>

cdburgess75:
When I search pkg's, I notice that the repository is linked to opnsense,  Is there a way to change it to freebsd repo?  I would like to try additional software.  I can report my progress here, it may help someone one day :)

franco:
Yes, the historical reason being that multi-repo layouts did not work as expected in pkgng versions as far as early 1.4.x. There have been some changes that might make these setups viable, but I haven't checked them closely yet. You *can* enable the FreeBSD package mirror by editing /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf and setting "enabled: no" to "enabled: yes".

Note, however, that doing this may cause severe pains and package weirdness. A simple "pkg upgrade" might delete your current PHP version 5.6 and replace it with 5.4, rendering the GUI useless...

We discussed more exploration here and will share findings as we make progress.

cdburgess75:
Yes perfect,  thank you.  I will be careful to test before production use ...as well as keep the forum informed with adventures :)

pdf:
Seems like enabling the:

--- Code: ---CONSERVATIVE_UPGRADE=yes
--- End code ---

option in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf does the trick.

But stock packages probably need to have their repository set:

--- Code: ---pkg info | awk '{print $1}' | sed -e 's#-[^-]*$##g' | xargs -I {} pkg annotate -y -A "{}" repository OPNsense
--- End code ---

After those two steps, pkg should only try to upgrade from the repository that a package is originally installed from.

franco:
Yes, the repo annotation being the missing glue to hold it together in current installations. I think this will make its way into 15.1.6. Additionally, there is also: PRIORITY=1 which can be set in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repo/OPNsense.conf to make pkg aware of the fact that packages in there should always come from our mirror before FreeBSD is considered.

Note that FreeBSD 10 and OPNsense 15.1 are not completely ABI compatible, or that we build packages with the OpenSSL port as opposed to FreeBSD using the base system version. That version is still installed, because it cannot be easily switched off so you may be left in a state of lower security. More issues may loom in the dark.

Let's make a deal. If you need to do this let us know which packages you are looking for and we can add those into our build (as long as they don't pull in a ton of dependencies) and into the OPNsense mirror as optional packages?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version