English Forums > General Discussion

Intel 82599ES, interfaces in RED with "no carrier"

(1/3) > >>

-Richard-:
Hello,

I've installed latest OPNsense version on my mini PC. I have an intel NIC 82599ES and the 2 ports are found but appear in red with this indication : "no carrier".

The leds from the SFP+ ports are not flashing and remain off...

Can you help me please ?

Thanks

Richard

meyergru:
Obviously, the card is detected, but the SFP(+) modules are not or they have no link, i.e. they are not connected to anything. Which SFP modules do you use and how are they connected (to what)?

In rare circumstances, the SFP+ modules are coded to match only specfic brands of SFP+ slots.

-Richard-:
The fiber cable from my ISP comes into this ONU :

which is inserted into my SFP+ port

Is it possible both are not compatible ?

tuto2:
The system log (system -> log files -> general), under process "kernel" should reveal if the driver has anything to say about it. The fact that the LEDs are not coming up shows that this is a low level linking issue. Either there is no other end, or the module is not compatible with the intel chipset.

Greg_E:
A third choice might be auto-negotiation problems where the card can't tell how fast the module wants to run. I'm not sure how you would get in to set this manually, but it's fixed a few problems on routers/switches to set the slot to a speed that works for both. In this case gigabit (1.25gbps) would most likely be the choice.

It's also possible that the card can not slow itself down to the gigabit speeds that this module can handle. While SFP+ is supposed to be backwards compatible, not in every way. I've seen some cards listed as 10/1gbps so a 2.5gbps module is not going to work.

The chipset for your card says it is 10/1gbps so if you can find a way to set the speed for 1gbps, it might start working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version