English Forums > Zenarmor (Sensei)

ZanArmor cut my Internet speed in half

(1/3) > >>

axel2078:
I have a 1 GB fiber connection from AT&T.  I normally get around 980 - 995 MB/s through the LAN connections in my house.  About a month ago, I enabled ZenArmor on my OPNsense system and it was doing just the basic functions since I was using the free version.  I noticed recently that whenever I run speed checks, I'm seeing around 450 MB/s at my LAN connections.  The highest I got was around 500 MB/s.  I thought this was kind of odd given the speeds I used to get.  I thought that maybe something was wrong on AT&T's end, so I logged into the AT&T gateway device that sits in front of OPNsense and I ran a speed test from it and it was pulling down around 995 MB/s, so I knew the issue was downstream and most likely on OPNsense.  I knew that the only change I had made recently was enabling ZenArmor, so I turned it off, and then my download speeds increased dramatically, just like I was getting before.  It's staying off for now.

athurdent:
You might want to list your OPNsense hardware.
My N100 HUNSN appliance does 2.5G Zenarmor just fine.

axel2078:
I'm running it on a Protectli system that I got back in 2021 I think.  Maybe it's not beefy enough?  Is there a way OPNsense can dump an export of the hardware config?

Seimus:
So most likely you have a device with CPU "J3160, J3710, J4125"

ZenArmor doesn't currently support multi-core, performance is thus heavily dependent on single core performance

https://www.zenarmor.com/docs/introduction/hardware-requirements

Regards,
S.

almodovaris:
Yup, at 113 MB/s downloads from Usenet, one core of my N100 is used by Eastpect maximally 75% (usually in the 60s, sometimes in the 50s, using Debian, it can be very similar for OPNsense).

That's 904 Mbps effective speed (using yenc and TLS 1.3 connections).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version