English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

convert from openwrt to proxmox opnsense help request

(1/1)

houseofrahl:
on my pi4 i have openwrt configured with vlans, and trunked through a netgear gs308ep managed switch to a netgear wax214v2, i have it all working as is.

i would like to migrate to a i5 6400,8gb,256gb,i350-t4

id like to get my opnsense in proxmox setup to do the same, i am stuck when it comes to setting up my proxmox network connections, and i cant decide if im better off with passthrough nics or linux bridge, or linux vlans.

any advise or starting points?

my current setup has
isp modem -> rpi4 openwrt 2 usb nics
wan

vlan10 (lan) 192.168.10.1
vlan20 (iot) 192.168.20.1
vlan30(iso) 192.168.30.1

i dont have a normal untagged lan,

my switch is setup trunked on ports 1,2, and 3. (managed at 192.168.10.4)
port 1 is connected to the pi,
port 2 is connected to the AP,(managed at 192.168.10.8)
port 3 goes out to another managed switch
4-6 are vlan10,
7,8 vlan30,

vlan20 is only used on iot wifi

the new pc has a onboard port and a quad nic,
i want 1 lan and 1 wan port, i may expand later but for now i just want the one each
id like to manage proxmox on 192.168.10.16 (vlan 10) where i manage my switch and my ap also if that makes sense
id like to access opnsense at 192.168.10.1
id like all 3 vlans to trunk through lan

i am new to opnsense, but i take advise well, and im not opposed to google fu as long as theres some direction on what to find

Seimus:
Personally I run baremental, But have a look at homenetworkguy. Maybe it will help.

https://homenetworkguy.com/how-to/run-opnsense-in-proxmox-vm/
https://homenetworkguy.com/how-to/create-lag-with-vlans-on-proxmox-server-using-l2-switch-and-opnsense/

Regards,
S.

houseofrahl:
i was able to convert, get up and running with proxmox,opnsense, vlans and ipv6, still learning more and more

trick to proxmox is setting it up with the default vmbr0 as lan and give it a static on the planned opnsense subnet, install opnsense on it, configure the initial setup and then swap it in as your main router, youll be able to access proxmox and opnsense on the same subnet once opnsense comes up,

dont forget to enable autostart vm otherwise you end up kicking yourself out lol. (i catastrophically failed 3 or 4 times till i got it working the way i liked it lmao)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version