Archive > 22.7 Legacy Series

Gateway Monitoring changes monitor IP on ISP failure

<< < (2/3) > >>

CJ:
The good news is that OPNsense doesn't fail over to the modem anymore after adding it's IP to the exclude range.

The bad news is that when the connection goes done I lose access to my modems status and troubleshooting page.

Any suggestions for being able to access it while monitoring the proper ip?

tong2x:
it is NOT advisable to use your ISP gateway as monitor, because there could be cases wherein you have "full" connection to your ISP but there backbone is down or there external access outside is down. in which case their gateway will respond to your pings.

you should set known "good" internet IP, usually public DNS IP address
8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9 and their secondary IPS
these IPs will rarely go down, and will ensure that your ISP has "Internet" connection to ping them.

CJ:

--- Quote from: tong2x on January 18, 2023, 04:34:44 am ---it is NOT advisable to use your ISP gateway as monitor, because there could be cases wherein you have "full" connection to your ISP but there backbone is down or there external access outside is down. in which case their gateway will respond to your pings.

these IPs will rarely go down, and will ensure that your ISP has "Internet" connection to ping them.

--- End quote ---

How many times has this happened to your ISP where their external links went down but your last mile connection was still up?  Because I can not recall a single instance of this happening to me.

As I already mentioned, I'm much more concerned about the status of my last mile connection which is why I don't want to use any ip that transits outside of my ISP.

chemlud:

--- Quote from: CJRoss on January 19, 2023, 03:52:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: tong2x on January 18, 2023, 04:34:44 am ---it is NOT advisable to use your ISP gateway as monitor, because there could be cases wherein you have "full" connection to your ISP but there backbone is down or there external access outside is down. in which case their gateway will respond to your pings.

--- End quote ---

How many times has this happened to your ISP where their external links went down but your last mile connection was still up?  Because I can not recall a single instance of this happening to me.

As I already mentioned, I'm much more concerned about the status of my last mile connection which is why I don't want to use any ip that transits outside of my ISP.

--- End quote ---

That's not the meaning of gateway monitoring. Do you want to communicate with your ISP gateway or with the interwebs?

CJ:

--- Quote from: chemlud on January 19, 2023, 04:14:01 pm ---That's not the meaning of gateway monitoring. Do you want to communicate with your ISP gateway or with the interwebs?

--- End quote ---

Did you mean to reply to tong or me?

Having had my ISP replaced twice now due to damage causing intermittent connection issues, I'm very concerned about it.  Additionally, I can't talk to the interwebs if I can't talk to the ISP gateway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version