Archive > 16.1 Legacy Series

[SOLVED] Migrate from PFsense to OPNsense

(1/6) > >>

shade73:
Hello,

I wish to migrate 2 PFsense 2.2.6 servers in HA setup, to OPNsense 16.1 (or 16.7 if timetable will shift).

Any thoughts or guide for the best way? Is there a way to export/import config?

Thanks in advance.

netrixtardis:
While OPNsense and pfsense are from similar base, they are not really interchangeable like that.  You should export your pfsense config only as a reference, do not try to re-import it into OPNsense

franco:
You can still import individual sections and see if that works. Additional info here:

https://github.com/opnsense/core/issues/28#issuecomment-141755217

It may work, depending on your config.xml complexity. Good luck. Test in a VM. :D

shade73:
Thanks for the input.

I'm in the middle of the migration, seems like 16.7rc2 is the only download so starting on that.

Not much could be imported from old config, so had a good cleanup - only aliases could be used, that was many lines of config I where saved from typing.

I'm using a Intel i350-T4 card and on PFsense (or the old FreeBSD) I had a buffer exhaustion in the kernel because of the load on the card with hardware offload.

I had these added to /boot/loader.conf
kern.ipc.nmbclusters="1000000"
kern.ipc.nmbjumbop="524288"

Do you know if they are still needed in 10.3, or mabee a better value?

Regards

franco:
There is also an older 16.1.8 image, but 16.7-RC2 is almost all of 16.7 so it's best to start there.

Wouldn't risk omitting the loader values, although it makes we wonder where you came from. pfSense 2.2.6 maybe? In that case e.g. from 10.1 to 10.3 not a lot has changed in FreeBSD as most of the network stack reworks are locked into FreeBSD 11 due to a larger rework/restructuring happening there.

Cheers,
Franco

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version