Archive > 22.7 Legacy Series

Throughput with IDS/IPS Enabled

<< < (2/2)

vico1959:
Okay so other than memory use being a bit higher than I like, the rest of the hardware in that performance chart seems to be doing okay but that chart doesn't really show disk performance. If you are using a standard HD then you might try an SSD instead and see if that will help the swap file performance and therefore help your overall performance throughput. As a comparison, I am running a dedicated standalone hardware box with an i5-7400, which is only 4 cores at 3.0 GHz, 8GB of RAM and an SSD and my Internet speed is only 300/35 but I am getting the full speed with IPS enabled. It may be that there is a cap on max throughput that the software package can handle? It may be that the extra layer of running a virtualized box may have an impact? Have you heard what anyone else with a faster Internet speed is getting in comparison to you?

nzkiwi68:
Once you have enough RAM, another performance tuning option you can select is to change the detect profile to HIGH.

Services > Intrusion Detection > Administration
(enable advanced mode to "Detect Profile"

Also, BIOS settings are very important.
Disable P states, disable C states, disable Turbo boost.

nzkiwi68:
Oh rats, I didn't read your post very well, I see you are virtualised.

You would need to make those BIOS changes on the hosts for the C/P states and turbo boost, but those changes will help all VMs anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version