English Forums > Hardware and Performance

DEC 750 / SFP-Port / GPON Module / Speed

(1/2) > >>

genfai:
Hi,

I recently got a DEC 750 and tried to use a GPON module to directly connect my WAN-fiber.

Basically that worked just fine. But since the WAN connection is 1000/500 the idea was to get rid of the 940 MBit Ethernet bottleneck. The original ONT has a 1 GBit Ethernet port and I get about 940/510 MBit when connected to the DEC 750. Without the ONT and the fiber directly connected to the GPON module on the other hand I only get about 740/480.

The results are identical with a LANCOM SFP-GPON-1 module and a Zyxel PMG3000-D20B.

Both modules show the SFP link speed as 1000M SGMII with rxpause and txpause enabled.

It is not possible to change the link speed. Whatever I select it always resets to 1000M SGMII.

As far as I understand I need a 2.5G connection on the SFP side to get rid of the 940M bottleneck. At least the Zyxel module is capable of 2.5G HSGM. But the SFP-Ports don't seem to support that. I found some references to 2.5G connections in the Free BSD driver commits but don't really understand what I see. Can anyone confirm whether 2.5G link speeds on the SFP side are possible or maybe has knowlegde if that is something a future driver update will support?

And is it possible to deactivate rxpause and typause on the SFP-Ports? I couldn't find a way to do so and if I got Google right that seems to be the reason for the degraded 740/480 bandwidth?

Thanks.

lilsense:
you need to upgrade your ISP to something larger. 940 is your cap, so live with it.

genfai:
Sorry, but that is not true. 940M is the net data rate of 1G ethernet. You can get 10G fiber and it will still be just 940M on a 1G ethernet connection or corresponding SFP link speeds.

If I use the Zyxel GPON module in a Unify Dream Machine Pro I can force 2.5G link speed of the SFP-Port and get 1040/510. The additional bandwidth above 1000/500 is probably overprovisioning by the ISP. But the point is that 1G ethernet isn't the limit anymore.

With the DEC 750 the SFP ports don't seem to support 2.5G link speeds on the SFP side. I am noch sure though since 2.5G is referenced in the driver commits.

But the greater problem is that bandwidth drops to 740/480 with the GPON modules. At least that should be fixable I suppose. As far as I understand the reason may be rxpause/txpause.

cookiemonster:
The product page has some verified modules https://shop.opnsense.com/product/dec750-opnsense-desktop-security-appliance/
You might want to consider contacting after sales support for advice whilst awaiting advice here.

lilsense:
OMG!!! So you in desperate need to 100 extra megs??????? LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version