English Forums > General Discussion

Help: Change Current WAN with new ISP Public IP

(1/2) > >>

pon:
Hello. I am relatively new to OPNsense. An ISP has acquired our current ISP and need to change public IP information. I have tried to configure the current WAN but get the message that the IP doesn't meet the current range with editing a new Gateway (as its already set for the current range). We have two WAN interfaces for primary and secondary connections. This is being done in the GUI.

What is the best practice to get the current WAN used changed to new IP? Will deleting the WAN interface to configure a new one with new IP and Gateway allow to set the new IP range (as I am not able to edit that range in place)? sorry if this is obvious as I am not wanting to make a config unless I know the outcome and limit any disturbance.

thank you

pon:
I guess I just need to know if I either am able to edit that current WAN and edit the DHCP Leases for that new IP/gateway range I need to change to or deleting that WAN interface completely and configuring a new one allows me to configure the range of that new IP and gateway. I have been looking around and can't seem to find a definite answer for changing current WAN interface vs setting up a new one on installation in regards to ISP changes.

Demusman:
Is the new ISP using DHCP?
If so, you don't have to change anything. Just release and renew IP.

If they give you a static IP, you'll need to set it manually.

If PPPOE, you'll have to set it manually.

Which is it?

pon:
Its Static so I am trying to change the old IP thats set with provided gateway. I put in the correct IP and set the new Gateway But I get that error for

"gateway address does not lie within one of the chosen interface's IPv4"

Does resetting that WAN and creating a new one reset IPv4 for me to set the range for that new IP? or can I edit that range under "Services" first before I edit the WAN Interface I need changed?

Demusman:
Just set the current WAN to static, then set the address right there.
Don't delete the interface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version