English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

How to set up OPNsense with external access point

(1/2) > >>

ufoloop:
I have OPNsense running in an ESXi VM. A 4 port NIC is passed through to the VM. LAN is on em0, WAN on em1. I have a managed switch and a TP LINK wireless router. I put the wireless router into access point mode with a static IP on the same subnet as OPNsense, DHCP is turned off on the wireless router. What I want to achieve is to get a working access point. The wireless router would be connected to the switch, OPNsense would be connected to the switch over LAN. How must I configure OPNsense to get internet traffic on the access point?

Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen:
Not at all. If OPNsense has got a running DHCP server on LAN, everything will "just work". An access point is a layer 2 (bridge) device.

ufoloop:
So should the access point get an IP from the DHCP server instead having a static IP?

Bob.Dig:

--- Quote from: ufoloop on September 23, 2022, 07:25:13 am ---So should the access point get an IP from the DHCP server instead having a static IP?

--- End quote ---
No, has nothing to do with the question above... Has your switch internet? If yes, your AP should have to.

ufoloop:
Just a feedback, my setup works as the two authors above said it would work.

To sum up: OPNsense is in a VM, LAN is running a DHCP server, WAN is over PPPOE. The wireless router is in access point mode (TP-LINK AX50), has a static IP with same subnet as LAN and DHCP turned off, Gateway on the wireless router set with the IP of LAN. The wireless router and OPNsense (LAN) are connected to the switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version