English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

1 LAN. 1 Router. 1 FW. 1 Switch. 1 AP. Easiest possible setup. Full stop.

(1/6) > >>

SecCon:
Any easy basic opnsense fw setup guides? 

(Every guide I have seen so far includes stuff I don't have, don't need, don't use, don't want to get, don't understand).

1 ISP Modem <> 1 FW <> 1 Router <> 1 Switch/AP <> 1 LAN <> Devices. Simple as that.

[no vlans, no vpn's, no dmz, no dsl, no ipv6, no ldap, no radius, etc..]

I have a couple of recent books, I have read the docs, both has loads of extra confs I don't intend on using, and since it uses that in all examples, it's pretty much useless.. 

Patrick M. Hausen:
What is the router supposed to do in that scenario?

Simplest OPNsense setup is:

ISP Modem - OPNsense (both FW and router) - Switch/AP - Clients

What part of the documentation is unclear about how to go about that?

* install
* connect switch to LAN interface
* connect PC to switch
* IP address assignment is automatic
* login to web UI
* configure WAN according to provider data
* done

https://docs.opnsense.org/setup.html

SecCon:
I have decided to keep the router for routing, and use OPNsense exclusively as firewall.  In an earlier post I implied using OPNsense both for routing and fw, but that will not be the case.  Some argued against it: https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=29199.0

The basic setup is done, have OPNsense running on a temporary IP on a Supermicro Superserver and will move it between LAN and WAN in a few days.(I have all my network equipment in a dedicated rack). Got all the NIC's i could ever need for channelling the network through the fw.

What is the correct configuration for that once I do it? ISP is DHCP. DNS is Quad9.

Patrick M. Hausen:
You need to set up static routes for your internal networks if you want to connect an additional router. And you are aware that the firewall will still technically be routing, right?  ;)

Can you draw a plan of the networks you are planning to connect? I mean - that router must have multiple interfaces and multiple internal networks (at least 2), to router anything ...

SecCon:
Something like this I pushed together in 5 minutes in draw.io

In my opinion it is a simple basic lan.

Not sure about that thing about adding 2nd router, I guess if OPNSense is the 1st router then my EdgeMax is the second. .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version