Archive > 22.1 Legacy Series

[CALL FOR TESTING] FreeBSD 13.1 / 22.7 operating system preview

(1/13) > >>

franco:
Hi all,

Quick kudos to FreeBSD people for smooth managing of 13.1 this time around that also fits our release window nicely. The release notes can be found here:

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.1R/relnotes/

Since 22.1 is based on 13-STABLE some changes may already be included as documented therein. Yet the plan for 22.1 was to stay as close to 13.1 as possible so the next phase of the plan goes forward as we adopt the actual 13.1 code base for the upcoming 22.7 release series. We also managed to upstream a few small things so we can get rid of a bit of custom patching in our source code.

As such, the operating system between 22.1 and 22.7 is interchangeable so for anyone wondering about new features or driver changes there now is a public beta test to preview. The command to install is as follows:

# opnsense-update -bkzr 22.7.b
# opnsense-shell reboot

(reboot now or later, but must reboot to load the new OS)

For anyone looking to switch back the firmware upgrade will try to move you back to 22.1.x base/kernel sets unless you lock both packages from the firmware GUI page.

Note of care for kmod users (specifically Realtek and WireGuard within our immediate reach):

Your kernel module was built for an older FreeBSD version and may not work correctly or outright refuse to load upon reboot. Your only choice is to rebuild it from the correct source version or revert back to 22.1.x.

Feedback? Questions? Happy testing!

Cheers,
Franco

dpeter:
Thank you for the fixes in 22.1.8 as well as providing an onramp to beta test 13.1-RELEASE.

What does the upgrade cycle look like if we go to 22.7.b for when 22.7 proper is released?  Is that just an opnsense-update jump away to get on the 22.7 series proper once released?

_Alchemist_:

--- Quote from: franco on May 25, 2022, 08:53:28 pm ---# opnsense-update -bkzr 22.7.b
--- End quote ---

If i run `opnsense-update -bkzr 22.7b` on my OPNsense 22.1.8 VM, I get the following error:

--- Code: ---Fetching base-22.7b-amd64.txz: ..[fetch: https://pkg.opnsense.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/snapshots/sets/base-22.7b-amd64.txz.sig: Not Found] failed, no signature found
--- End code ---

--- Edit ---

I missed one dot ... I typed
--- Code: ---opnsense-update -bkzr 22.7b
--- End code ---
instead of
--- Code: ---opnsense-update -bkzr 22.7.b
--- End code ---

I updated my two OPNsense VMs (HA Cluster) and they seem to work fine, no errors yet :)

birdy:
Updated and everything ok so far.

But then it started to be a little confusing.

Dashboard/System information shows:

OPNsense 22.1.8-amd64
FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE
OpenSSL 1.1.1o 3 May 2022

and

¨Click to view pending updates.¨

Clicking shows:

Package name   Current version   New version   Required action   Repository
base                   22.7.b                   22.1.8           upgrade                  OPNsense
kernel                   22.7.b                   22.1.8           upgrade                  OPNsense

Not paying attention and assuming there was an update I updated and... was back on 13.0/22.1.8.

Luckily I made snapshots (running on Proxmox) and switched back and ( I think :-) ) I am running 13.1/22.7.b now although System Information shows:

OPNsense 22.1.8-amd64
FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE
OpenSSL 1.1.1o 3 May 2022

_Alchemist_:
Same for me, my OPNsense VMs also report being still on 22.1.8, but "freebsd-version -kru" reports 13.1-RELEASE - so I guess the Updates still works

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version