English Forums > Zenarmor (Sensei)

Advanced Security coming soon?

<< < (2/2)

almodovaris:
To sum up:

* I know what alises are;
* I know how to insert a list of aliases;
* I know that 95% of the lists of aliases are free (gratis).

But even then I cannot find the proper balance.

--- Quote ---A man worked in a factory and worked on the same machine all his life. This machine was unique and whenever it broke down, he would fix it. He was the only person who used the machine and the only one who could fix it and keep it running.

The time came for the man to retire. The whole company turned out and wished him well.

A couple of months later, the machine broke down. There was no replacement in existence so the Company Director rang the man and asked him to come in as a consultant to have a look at the machine and fix it.

The man came in, spent 15 minutes looking over the machine, pressing his ear to it, peering into gaps until he reached in to his bag and brought out a hammer. He then gave the machine a small tap and lo and behold, the machine was FIXED!

The director was overjoyed and asked the man to send him his invoice.

The invoice arrived for £10,000. The director was furious and immediately rang the man and demanded that he send a breakdown of the invoice and the tasks he performed.

He received the following:

Hitting the machine with a hammer        ..            ..            ..            £5.00

KNOWING where to hit the machine with a hammer       ..            £9995.00

The director paid the invoice without complaint.
--- End quote ---

jclendineng:
If you have a website or externally facing service, you need to come more of a security conscious person, not an "expert" but you do need to learn.  If you don't have externally facing services, you don't need anything except the base firewall, everything else is just worthless.  Its already blocking all incoming by default so no reason at all to do more.  I have external services running, so I have to do more than the average user.

almodovaris:
Not worthless: I was much longer doing this with Diversion and Skynet for AsusWRT Merlin, and even before that with custom Optware for DD-WRT.

So, yeah, I love censored internet. I don't censor it morally or politically, but I censor it for ads, scams, phishing and other security risks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version