Archive > 21.7 Legacy Series

Interface assignements broken after deleting virtual nic of opnsense on proxmox

(1/1)

t.mayer:
Hello OPNsense-Forum!

Due to a change of my network-setup, i needed one interface less on my opnsense-vm on proxmox.
Therefore I ...

* disabled the interface on interfaces > [interface-name]
* deleted the interface on inferfaces > assignements
* removed the corresponding virtual nic of the vm on proxmox After a reboot of OPNsense all nic-assignements were broken.

Is there a way of deleting virtual unassigned nics without breaking the assignements of the existing nics?

Thanks for your help!
Tom

cookiemonster:

--- Quote from: t.mayer on November 30, 2021, 06:50:16 pm ---After a reboot of OPNsense all nic-assignements were broken.

--- End quote ---
These statements are difficult to advise on. Nobody can see what only you can.

Patrick M. Hausen:
In a hypervisor environment interface assignments (virtual PCI slot) tend to change in unintuitive ways when interfaces are added or removed. Contrary to Linux FreeBSD does not map device names to MAC addresses but to the "physical" interface present, i.e. the PCI address etc.

To my knowledge there is no way around that other than taking notes of the interfaces and MAC addresses and fixing the assignment after the VM change.

HTH,
Patrick

mimugmail:
There is a rc script capable of doing this (ethname), but it's not integrated into OPNsense.
General rule of thumb, never ever remove NICs and if you add some (also on pyhsical systems) be prepared to adjust NIC names via console manually

t.mayer:
Thanks for all of your answers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version