English Forums > Hardware and Performance

Comcast gigabit and OpnSense slow speeds.

<< < (2/3) > >>

bunchofreeds:
Sounds like my setup.
For the reports just don't have the screen open on OPNsense that shows the realtime graph of the network bandwidth, be on the Dashboard instead for example.

Yes I run a VM for OPNsense also
My onboard NIC is what I use to connect to Proxmox for admin etc this is vmbr0 and has the proxmox IP address.
Like you my vmbr1 is WAN and vmbr2 is LAN, these are my two intel ports on my add in card.

If your VM's are on the same host as your OPNsense then you 'could' connect them to your vmbr2 LAN. The same virtual LAN switch your OPNsense is connected to, this would keep the traffic between them and OPNsense within the host and not having to trombone up to the switch and back down again.

Is your physical switch that your LAN ports are connected to capable of multiple gigabit (Can it move multiple gigibit simultaneously between multiple ports. Most enterprise switches will be able to but some consumer ones are not great. Keeping OPNsense LAN and all VM's that need LAN on the same virtual switch should mitigate this.

Do you run any VLANs or multiple internal subnets?

Do you have a way of confirming you can actually get the gigabit speeds you are after with another router?

LostnIL:
No VLANs (yet).

I have a Cisco Small Business gigabit switch. I've ordered a new switch. I was getting gigabit speeds with my TPLINK DeCo router. Actually, I was able to pull 1,400mbps as Comcast boosted their gigabit speeds.

LostnIL:
New switch in. No effect.

I did however launch OpenWRT and IPFIRE (both linux-based) and my connection STILL doesn't exceed 670mpbs.

Maybe Comcast is limiting the connection for some odd reason, or maybe it is because I am doing it in a VM and/or some BIOS setting on the hypervisor.

bunchofreeds:
Does iperf3 provide any better results?
This can be installed as a plugin on OPNsense then also on a device somewhere in your LAN.
This might help you to track down the bottleneck.
We seem to have a similar setup so it should be possible for you.

But like you say, it would also be sensible to ensure that comcast is reliably providing you gigabit.

Are you able to have another router AND your proxmox host connected to a set of ports on your switch that then connects upstream to comcast? Switching between them using port enable/disable or powering up/down etc.

I VLAN'd off some ports on my switch for WAN so I could switch between devices directly connected to my ISP.
This allows me to switch between a linksys router and my OPNsense running on proxmox for testing.

darp12345:
I'm on Xfinity's Gigabit Xtra plan which is supposed to be 1200Mbps. With 40Mbps upload speed. I have codel_fq on the egress to keep the latency in check as the outbound is easy to saturate. I don't have traffic shaper running on the ingress. The download speed maxes out at around 1400Mbps. Note the high latency which means that the modem link is saturated. The connection between the firewall and the modem is 2.5Gbps so it still has capacity.

--- Code: ---speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Race Communications - San Francisco, CA (id: 8228)
         ISP: Comcast Cable
Idle Latency:    18.01 ms   (jitter: 1.18ms, low: 17.09ms, high: 19.35ms)
    Download:  1423.36 Mbps (data used: 2.2 GB)                                                   
                 33.47 ms   (jitter: 4.75ms, low: 9.96ms, high: 159.69ms)
      Upload:    38.87 Mbps (data used: 37.6 MB)                                                   
                 17.45 ms   (jitter: 2.68ms, low: 11.94ms, high: 24.88ms)
 Packet Loss:     0.0%
  Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/1bd53d7b-803b-40f4-ad0d-40bc9ce9838a

--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version