English Forums > Hardware and Performance

[Solved] OPNSense heavily relying on one core?

(1/3) > >>

Gnomesenpai:
Hey all,

Been eyeing up my core router recently and noticed that out of the 4 virtual cores assigned only 1 is actually getting load pushed onto it, the setup is very basic just a small OSPF area and some basic firewall rules, is this behaviour normal when only pushing at max 500mbp/s of traffic? The VM is using VMX interfaces on ESXI 7

(sorry about the image size)

Edit:
Updated title to something that wasn't wrote by 1am me...

dinguz:
In the default settings, all network traffic is handled by core 0 only; this is done to enforce strong ordering for protocols requiring it, while keeping cpu affinity. You can set the following sysctl tunables: net.isr.maxthreads="-1" and net.isr.bindthreads="1" to enable traffic to be handled by all cores.

See this https://calomel.org/freebsd_network_tuning.html to find all kind of tunables to play with ;)

Mundan101:
I am also experiencing a "speedtest.net" issue where my fiber is 1G but speedtest is only maxing out at aroudn 500gb up and down.  When running htop, it only shows 1 core maxing out and not using the other cores.  I have a Intel® Xeon® processor D-1518.

Would this tuneable potentially work as well? Thoughts?

Thanks!

dinguz:
I'd just give it a go; retest and see what happens. It's an easy change to roll back if you notice any issues.

Gnomesenpai:

--- Quote from: dinguz on July 24, 2021, 10:15:50 am ---In the default settings, all network traffic is handled by core 0 only; this is done to enforce strong ordering for protocols requiring it, while keeping cpu affinity. You can set the following sysctl tunables: net.isr.maxthreads="-1" and net.isr.bindthreads="1" to enable traffic to be handled by all cores.

See this https://calomel.org/freebsd_network_tuning.html to find all kind of tunables to play with ;)

--- End quote ---

This appears to have made very minimal difference in my case, most of the loading is still sitting on that core, is their any other way to balance it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version