English Forums > Zenarmor (Sensei)

Trusting Zenarmor (fka Sensei) / Sunny Valley Networks

<< < (6/8) > >>

mb:
Hi @Pitango, for the sake of clarification: were you referring to "other personal information" clause?

Hi @Styx13, my pleasure. And I'll be happy to listen to your ideas. I'll be contacting you with a PM.

firewall:

--- Quote from: mb on January 23, 2022, 06:40:43 pm ---Having said that, we'll go ahead and prepare a document which will provide detailed technical information and guidance on this topic.

We plan to make it available along with 1.11 Release and will update the thread once it's ready.

--- End quote ---

Hello @mb, was this document made available in parallel to the 1.11 Release, as described above?  Perhaps I've missed something in the Release Notes?
https://www.sunnyvalley.io/docs/support/release-notes#111----march-31-2022

mb:
Hi @firewall,

Thanks for the follow-up. We've discussed this with the team and decided that the best way to go would be to provide our users with a "Privacy Check Tool". 

This way, any updates on the software could also be reflected through the Privacy Check Tool in parallel and without any delay.

This is already in the making and planned to ship with the next major release.

Please see the attached picture (from our Project Mgmt Tool) for the details.

sghost:
Sorry to bring back the dead here, but i happend to stumble accross this. Jumping down the mans throat for being concerned of his right to privacy grinds my geers enough to post. I have nothing negative to say about sensei or zenarmor, but just riding a brand and keeping with an attitude of screw it is idiot and lazy. Asked and answered as far this goes so I would just like to leave you with a quote. Also, while i'm here, to the opnsense team, great job. Since coming from pfsense i couldnt be happier, ill be looking at spending some cash as a thanks soon.

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say."

mb:
Hi @sghost,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated. Your point is well taken and we completely share your point of view.

Taking the chance I want to share Sunny Valley Networks' official stance on Privacy and provide an update on what we've been doing in this regard.

We've spent almost a year on both the technical and regulation (GDPR, California Consumer Privacy etc.) side of things to align industry best practices and our users' expectations with our infrastructure.

Reading our beloved users' feedback afterwards, it became apparent that we also needed to provide "detailed technical information" on what data we're collecting; for what purposes and how our users can manage zenarmor settings to control their data sharing status.

The first idea was adding these information to legal documents; but managing technical detail in legal documents appeared to be more challenging than we originally thought.

After doing an extensive research for industry best practices; It looks like the best method will be providing our users with a dedicated 'Privacy Settings Menu' where we can disclose which information you're sharing, the reasoning behind this and a quick on/off button to disable/enable related functionality so that you can easily control your Privacy posture.

This functionality will ship with the upcoming Zenarmor release 1.12. I'm attaching the screenshot of the aforementioned Privacy menu. 

It's a cliche; but I'll have to say it anyhow just to express our stance: your privacy is utmost important to us. The product has been designed, from ground-zero, keeping this in mind. OPNsense user community is highly privacy-conscious. Working with such a community helped very much as well.

I guess we're the only product offering a Cloud Management capability and at the same time offering the option to store reporting data locally on the user's premises. We store only what is necessary to store in the Cloud. All cloud communications can be monitored through zenarmor agent's cloud agent logs. You'll notice that apart from the connection keep-alives; there'll be no messages going back / forth unless you're signed-on to the Cloud Interface and interacting with the related menus.  From a product development perspective, this kind of approach brings with it a lot of challenges. However, we believe this is the right approach.

Our intent is to provide a privacy-safe and secure environment to our users. If the 'practice' does not align with this 'intent', please be noted that it is unintentional and we're all open to constructive suggestions like the ones in this thread and more than eager to revise our processes, products and services.

In that regard, we've already reached out to several forum users who shared their suggestions. Some of them were kind enough to contribute further ideas which eventually helped create our current approach.

Apart from that, I'd like to also re-iterate that we're open to helping people who might want to conduct an independent analysis of the privacy situation of the product. Please feel free to reach out to privacy - at - sunnyvalley.io . Your suggestions and ideas are always welcome.

Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version