English Forums > Virtual private networks

Wireguard, Gateways and Routing. Completely lost and slowly going insane!

<< < (2/2)

Gauss23:
You maybe should leave the private IPs visible for us, otherwise it's hard to help. Public IPs can be hidden.

What happens if you uncheck "disable routes"? Then make a screenshot of System:Routes:Status again. Maybe you're sending the packets to the wrong gateway.

Greelan:
You don’t put the same public key in both local and endpoint. The local public key corresponds to the local private key (and would have been autogenerated when you created the local config). The local public key is what you give to the peer (Torguard in your case?). The endpoint public key is what you are given by the peer (Torguard).

Your traffic stats suggest that no VPN connection is being made - the thing about WG is that it doesn’t expressly tell you if a connection has failed; I guess a short codebase doesn’t leave room for error reporting lol.

BTW, you can packet capture under Interfaces->Diagnostics->Packet Capture.

Patrick M. Hausen:
@Greelan you are technically correct, but for the connection/error message part, IMHO.

There is no connection in WG. The whole thing is stateless much like GRE or IPIP. The software could log something like "received packet could not be decapsulated - key mismatch?" or similar.

Greelan:
Loose language, my bad. My point was simply it is not always immediately obvious that a handshake has failed

Patrick M. Hausen:
Yes, but again: there is no handshake. Each packet is "VPNed" individually. Completely stateless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version