English Forums > Zenarmor (Sensei)

Sensei throughput cap despite high-performance device

(1/3) > >>

mihak:
I am running OPNSense on a dedicated i7 CPU with 32 GB of memory and 6 gbps ports. Ubench CPU 1132791 and Ubench MEM 2337171. My internet connection is 1 gpbs.

Before installing and enabling Sensei, average throughput on fast.com or speedtest.com was close to 1.0 gbps with a usual overhead penalty. But when Sensei is installed and active on LAN ports (L3 mode with either native or generic nmap driver), throughput drops to 250 mbps - mere 25% of available bandwidth. CPU is idling and never goes above 15%.

I installed the new 20.7.3-netmap driver - but that didn't change the throughput at all.

What am I doing wrong? What troubleshooting data would you like to see?

mr.yx:
i am just curious, what i7 do you have that gets those scores? did u bench it with the singlecore flag (ubench -sc)?

a modern coffeelake with 4.2ghz gets arround 690k on single...

mb:
Hi @mihak,

We received your report. It looks like 1M cpu score is multi-core score, since single core cpu score seems around 270.000.

Anyhow, I believe you should still be able to attain higher speeds. We'll follow up with you.

mihak:
SVN team did some analysis on my router today and:

- confirmed that throughput indeed drops from >900 Mbps to ~250 Mbps when Sensei is on and active
- throughput goes back to >900 Mbps when Sensei is in bypass mode
- disabling the hyperthreading of firewall increased the throughput to ~350 Mbps

My device is one of the new-generation Protectli clones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000803229693.html

i7 CPU with 32 GB ram and 500 GB mSATA

Will post an update once we progress more.

almodovaris:
On my APU2C4 (4 cores AMD at 1000 MHz) I have now 356 Mbps to my own provider, through Sensei.

As told by Gary7, I have applied the following tweaks in /boot/loader.conf.local :

vm.pmap.pti = 0
hw.ibrs_disable = 0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version