Archive > 20.1 Legacy Series

Cannot Get NTOPNG Geo Mapping To Work

<< < (2/3) > >>

gpb:
Hey, no problem, I got it from a video on youtube quite some time ago, nothing I discovered myself.  I can't say for sure, but my assumption is with the CSV and database there are two packages, OPNsense and ntopng...the latter using the database format.  I found I needed all the files for ntopng to work.  I haven't looked at the new version, like I said I was getting 100% CPU using it and disabled it for the time being.  It looked like ntopng had a major revision, so maybe they have some bugs they're working through...just guessing.

Video here: https://youtu.be/MywgacMD_GI

bungo63:
Dear GPB
I spent at least 10 hours trying to get his working. Most of  YouTube videos seemed focused upon the symptoms of the Maxmind licensing changes. :'(
I only copied the EN databases across. I assumed they were all the same content just different languages.
I don't see the google map window in NTOPNG anymore. Have you got this working or maybe its no longer supported.
My CPU has increased but I have very little throughput so its no proving to be a problem.

AT the end of the day, whilst its interesting learning about Linux and stuff, paying $50 per year to Untangle for something that just works (for my basic needs)  may be a compelling argument.

gpb:
I wouldn't blame OPNsense for this, it's my understanding it's the new version of ntopng.  I haven't looked at it other than when I was trying to understand how it changed for about 30 minutes a few weeks ago (initial reaction - not impressed)...then disabled it due to the high CPU.  Here's my post with some discussion about it.

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=16679.0

EDIT: I shouldn't say not impressed, like @hushcoden said, it's openstreetmap now and not google, so no API needed.  It doesn't have the eye candy graphics, but I guess it's as functional.  I read what they did in 4.0, trying to open up for future development creating a more open model for people to contribute.  I should learn how to use it better lol...a tutorial about what it can do would be nice...probably something out there I'll see if I can find.

hushcoden:
@gpb indeed I'm not impressed, but I would be happy if it would properly work: does it happen to you also it cannot find your location?

Like I said, it thinks I'm in Rome, don't understand why...

gpb:
Oh, I didn't realize you were still having that problem.  No, it finds my location fine.  I think for that to work you have to allow your browser to report your location, that's how it used to be.  I probably gave it the permission for that in the past and haven't had to reset it.  I'm not 100% certain...but try that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version