English Forums > Tutorials and FAQs

Help with installing the thing on a PC (dual boot)

(1/2) > >>

N00byGeek:
Hi,
please forgive my nooby question but I did´t get it from the tutorial past the USB media creation.
I want to install OPNsense on a notebook using dual boot Ubuntu/Win10 (please no advices to virtualizing Win in Ubuntu, as it has not a strong hardware).

As i understand, the OPNsense image needs to install first on a HDD, but I do not know how to proceed afterwards. Can I simply run a Win10 installation process from an USB stick, after I installed OPNsense (and partitioned the HDD)? Afterwards doing the same for Ubuntu.

In case Win 10 install is not supported, I am fine with doing only with Ubuntu (so no dual boot).

p.s.: I prefer the MBR / BIOS type of install.

Thank you very much for a hint

bartjsmit:
Actually, OPNsense is based on FreeBSD so you would need to triple-boot  8)

You could have a look here: https://basicbsd.wordpress.com/2018/01/28/bad-install/

Bart...

N00byGeek:
Thank you for the link. I will see if I can figure it out :-)

Just a simple question: is OPNsense a firewall to protect other operating systems of a (home) computer, or is it a software intended for servers only?

bartjsmit:

--- Quote from: N00byGeek on February 14, 2020, 10:42:53 am ---Just a simple question: is OPNsense a firewall to protect other operating systems of a (home) computer, or is it a software intended for servers only?

--- End quote ---

It is neither :)

OPNsense is an appliance based on hardenedbsd which turns a computer into a network firewall. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/firewalls/what-is-a-firewall.html

Host firewalls cannot offer the same level of security, since they share the system that they are meant to be protecting. Any malware can alter or disable the host firewall but it will have a much harder job tampering with the network firewall, especially if you reduce the attack surface by minimising the services that OPNsense offers, such as DNS, web proxy, etc.

Bart...

N00byGeek:
So in order to sum it up, an effective solution for example would be grabbing an unused PC, turn it into a home network firewall and connect my main workstation into it to provide internet connection? :-)

Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version