Archive > 19.7 Legacy Series

IPv6 via 6rd on Centurylink problem: No route to host.

(1/2) > >>

eas:
I've recently switched to OPNsense from OpenWRT as part of a switch from Comcast to CenturyLink.

I'm having trouble getting IPv6 (via 6rd) working on OPNsense 19.7_5 and I could use some help.

The problem:

* I can't reach (HTTP, ping, traceroute) any IPv6 hosts beyond the OPNsense firewall/gateway from either clients, or the OPNsense box itself.
* I can resolve IPv6 addresses for sites like Google.
* Pings from client and OPNsense die with "no route to host"
* Traceroutes from clients report one hop, the opnsense box, before complaining there is no route to host on the next hop.
* Traceroutes from the opnsense box complain "no route to host"
My configuration:

* I have a VLAN interface setup on the ethernet port connected to the CL ONT, which is a necessary part of bypassing the modem they provided.
* I have my WAN interface configured to use a PPPoE tunnel for IPv4 and a 6rd tunnel for IPv6.
* The PPPoE section is configured with the ISP login info.
* The 6rd section is configured with the 6rd tunnel config info from the ISP (details below).
* I've updated the automatically created Point-to-Point device to use the VLAN interface for the link interface.
* The LAN interface is configured with a static address for the IPv4 configuration type, and "Track Interface" for the IPv6 configuration type.
* The Track IPv6 section is set to use the WAN interface as the IPv6 Interface (WAN is the only available option). The IPv6 prefix ID is 0x0, which is what it defaulted to.
* I have also chosen to allow manual adjustment of DHCPv6and Router Advertisements because if I didn't LAN clients weren't aware of a gateway on the LAN, and traceroutes failed immediately, complaining of no route to host.
* Router advertisements are currently set to "Assisted"
* I'm using default/autogenerated firewall rules for both IPv4 and IPv6 (includes "default allow LAN IPv6 to any rule")
* Firewall:Settings:Advanced AllowIPv6 is checked
* System:Settings:General Prefer to use IPv4 even if IPv6 is available is unchecked
* I'm using autogenerated gateways (WAN_6rd, WAN_PPPOE). "Under System:Gateways:Single," a gateway address is listed for WAN_PPPOE but not for, WAN_6RD.
Further Details:

* IPv4 works as expected
* Clients obtain IPv6 addresses within the Centurylink Prefix
WAN 6rd Rapid Deployment Config settings
6RD prefix   2602::/24
 6RD Border Relay   205.171.2.64
 6RD IPv4 Prefix length   0 bits
 6RD IPv4 Prefix address   Auto-detect

Interaces:Overview

[LAN interface (lan, igb0)   
Status   up
MAC address   a0:36:9f:XX:XX:XX - Intel Corporate
MTU   1500
IPv4 address   10.31.1.1 / 24
IPv6 Link Local   fe80::a236:9fff:fe0a:e870 / 64
IPv6 address   2602:ae:XXXX:XXXX::1 / 64
[...]

WAN interface (wan, pppoe0)
Status   up
PPPoE   
up    Reload  Disconnect
Uptime   00:35:57
MAC address   00:00:00:00:00:00 - XEROX CORPORATION
MTU   1492
IPv4 address   174.21.XXX.XXX / 32
Gateway IPv4   63.231.10.68
IPv6 Link Local   fe80::a236:9fff:fe0a:e870 / 64
DNS servers   205.171.3.25
[...]

That's all I can think of, now. I'll update if I think of anything else.

Suggestions on how I can get this working, or how to troubleshoot it further?

Thanks!

eas:
Switching to a fresh install PFsense solved my problem, though I'd prefer OpnSense's much more coherent web UI (and available wireguard package)

JSkier:
Also having this issue, I came from pfsense, where it did work like your experience. Seems the WAN interface supports dhclient6 though. Tried talking to CenturyLink, they didn't really understand IPv6 (on the residential side).

I'll work on more testing in coming weeks here, may need a bug report.

Cheddoleum:
Just registered to ask about this. I'm evaluating OPNsense, hugely impressed so far, it solves several problems for me and the coherence and utility of the UI is outstanding.

But 6rd tunnel is failing: WAN does not appear to get an IPv6 address (although LAN clients do!) and there's no IPv6 connectivity over the WAN. 

I'm also a CenturyLink residential customer.  6rd works fine in OpenWRT and raw native Linux routers.

I would be happy to provide further information.

madj42:
I was able to get my IPv6 setup working with a static IP address and a gif tunnel.  I had the static IP from my previous setup before IPv6 and would like to get rid of it.  Has anyone gotten this to work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version