Archive > 15.1 Legacy Series

Add-Ons/Plugins/Packages

(1/2) > >>

fraenki:
Hi,

just installed OPNsense and made a few tests. Looks very promising and I really hope this project will attract many more people.

I've got a question regarding Add-Ons/Packages, because I've noticed that the item "Packages" is missing from OPNsense' menu. Packages in pfSense are a great way to enhance functionality and make it possible to even add new components to the WebGUI.

Do you plan to offer a similar Plugin/Add-On functionality? I'd love to contribute a Plugin or two. ;-)

Thanks
- Frank

jschellevis:
Yes, we are certainly planning on adding a packaging system. That is to say our current firmware upgrade system makes use of pkg as opnsense is now a standard pkg package as well :-) This functionality will extended to be able to add new features this way as well.. currently the core team is discussing the best way to do this.

fraenki:

--- Quote from: jschellevis on January 15, 2015, 10:38:35 am ---Yes, we are certainly planning on adding a packaging system. That is to say our current firmware upgrade system makes use of pkg as opnsense is now a standard pkg package as well :-) This functionality will extended to be able to add new features this way as well.. currently the core team is discussing the best way to do this.

--- End quote ---

Great to hear this! Pkg is certainly the way to go for packaging.

I need to admit that I like the simplistic approach pfSense is using for their Add-On system: combining standard pkg packages with pfSense-specific Add-Ons – meaning that you can use any unmodified pkg package to build an Add-On on top of that. (I'm knowingly ignoring that PBI ever existed.)

Oh, and talking about pfSense... maybe it's a good idea to start with both a "official/stable" and a "community/unstable" repository for Add-Ons...

Regards
- Frank

jschellevis:

--- Quote from: fraenki on January 15, 2015, 11:18:44 am ---Great to hear this! Pkg is certainly the way to go for packaging.

I need to admit that I like the simplistic approach pfSense is using for their Add-On system: combining standard pkg packages with pfSense-specific Add-Ons – meaning that you can use any unmodified pkg package to build an Add-On on top of that. (I'm knowingly ignoring that PBI ever existed.)

Oh, and talking about pfSense... maybe it's a good idea to start with both a "official/stable" and a "community/unstable" repository for Add-Ons...

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your suggestions!

It should be possible to have standard pkg packages with addons by just using the dependency system for that and have the standard package installed as dependency for you new package. Or am I missing the point here?

As for stable/unstable repositories I know we have a repository for testing.. something similar would be great for community/unstable packages as well.. when they become 'official' we can incorporate them into the 'official' pkg repository.

fraenki:

--- Quote from: jschellevis on January 15, 2015, 12:38:48 pm ---It should be possible to have standard pkg packages with addons by just using the dependency system for that and have the standard package installed as dependency for you new package. Or am I missing the point here?

--- End quote ---

Let me see if I get this right... to create a addon for OPNsense one would need to do the following:

- create a new pkg package (or FreeBSD port, i.a. sysutils/opnsense-addon-xy)
- add required OPNsense-specific files (additional GUI components, configuration files, etc.)
- add package opnsense-x.y.z as a dependency (to define which version is compatible with this addon)
- add any required pkg package as dependency

Is this what you are suggesting? I like this approach, it's very straight and simple. Though I assume there is a reason why other addon systems a far more complex (pfSense, FreeNAS).

Regards
- Frank

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version